Progress Photos

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Casey Feedwater, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Here are three "progress" photos of a "backwoods" oil tank car I've been working on. The base painting and decaling of the tank and frame is finished, as is the preliminary weathering. Final weathering and detailing - including barrels, hoses, chains, etc - will be done after the trucks and couplers are installed. The decking was done board by board.

The lighting is not too good in these. I shot them on the kitchen counter yesterday morning while waiting on the coffee.:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. Photo 2

Attached Files:

3. Photo 3

Attached Files:

4. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Casey, it looks great! The paint job is wonderful. And the deck coloring is great too. Awesome.

5. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I like the rust, and the ribbets pass inspection, too...
  6. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

It's simply perfect Casey!
    The fine detail and weathering is so realistic. You're in a class by yourself :)

7. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Incredible, awesome, outstanding and fantastic are a few words that come to mind! :D :cool: :cool: :)
  8. Vic

Vic Active Member

Awww Right Casey!!!......That one would be right at home on my East Terrible Mining Co branch:) EXCELLENT!!!:) :) :)
  9. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

"It is through challenge that we grow". Thanks for challenging me. That is some beautiful model work.
  10. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Er -- Yep. Goes for me too.

11. Thanks, folks, for the compliments. Perhaps Shamus said it best, though :D :rolleyes:

Right now my plans for this little car are for heavy weathering to make it appear as though years of use have resulted in a heavy accumulation of oil and gunk in all the "right" spots.
  12. t. alexander

t. alexander Member

Casey, That is one excellent model. I really like the sludge build up on the tank. very, very nice.

13. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

Excellent, Casey.
    Tell us how you made the tank...
    Bill S
  14. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

That is one AWESOME model, Casey!
    :cool: :cool: :cool:
    Is it going to be standard gauge?
    What did you use to make the tank?
  15. jmarksbery

jmarksbery Active Member

Casey, Casey Casey
    You devil you, you are not going to show us plans so we all can have one of those are you. Really looks great man. Thanks
    Jim:eek: :eek: :eek:
  16. Bill and Charlie,

Sorry I didn't get back right away to answer your questions. I've been off fighting in the Troll Wars :mad: The good guys lost. :mad: :mad: And my wife has been ill, so my time has been limited. :(

Anyway... I didn't make the tank shell. I thought about it; it would have been easy to make with some PVC pipe, a PVC sleeve, some .020 styrene for the tank ends, and a piece of .020 styrene strip for the bands. The tank shell, instead, is a resin casting from SierraWest. I did make the grab irons from blackened brass wire bent over a piece of stripwood, and the ledge is a piece of styrene ACC'd to the tank's side. I have a lot of details yet to add, and I've been "experimenting" with designing and printing my own road-name decals for this and some other cars yet to be built.

Yes, it's standard gauge. After scratchbuilding a tool caboose (photos posted in the Photo Forum some time back) in HOn3, I decided to stick with standard gauge. Trying to assemble those HOn3 trucks was enough to convince me of that. :rolleyes:

I don't have any more done on it than what you see in the photos. Again, lack of real modeling time got in the way. I hope to get back to it this weekend.

Thanks, everyone. :)
  17. NYCentral

NYCentral Member

Very nice Casey!! Now I will have to work on one this winter!!:cool:
  18. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Casey I hope Mrs. C has a speedy recovery! :)
  19. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Yes, Casey,
    It's good to have you back from the "front" safe & sound...;)
    Take good care of Mrs. Casey...hope she's better soon.
  20. Catt

Catt Guest

Casey the more I think about the Troll Wars the more I think we got sold out.:eek: :eek:

Oh well we live to fight another day (gawd I hope not).How's the wife feeling now? Hope shes doing GREAT!!