Picking On The Little Guys

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Guys,

Just found another forum on the Rock Island with lots of great pictures.

TrainBoard.com

I dont know if that will come up as a link or not but thats the name of it. You'll have to navigate from there to the fallen flag section.

I don't know if either of you have been there but thought i'd let you know.

Shane

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Yep yep, screws are now in the budget. We already have a power drill (and circular saw and jigsaw), so it's not like it will take all that much longer to do than hammering.

I use isopropyl alcohol (99%) for stripping the paint and decals off units I'm repainting. Works like a charm 9 times out of 10, and only requires a little bit of scrubbing. Then a light coat of spray-on primer, and I'm ready to go.

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I've definitely decided to buy that Marre book when my budget allows (which could be a few months, I wanna start on my benchwork immediatement).

That being said, I just won a Walthers undec stock car kit on eBay for $5US. Pretty good deal, I think, esp. since the seller's from the next province over from me. At any rate, would you guys happen to know where I could find a ROCK stock car pic online, or perhaps in one of your books ???

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
George,

I found the three pack of athearn frieght cars on Ebay today it says its a speical run set but the pic was no good so i emailed him to ask if it was the 2320 set and if he could get a close up of them.its ebay item #1712567462

I also found a silver car like the crown but its listed as an old Athern?Ebay#1712222863

I was reading one of my older MR magizines (May 1970) and there is an article on stripping decals. They used oven cleaner, something I'll have to try.

Mike,

I'll try to e-mail you some pics of a stock car.

Shane

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Well I'm glad I got a little control over this box of wires.

I took my roll of film down to get develope this afternoon thy said it would be a coulpe days since I'm puting them on disk.So now I'll sit and wait.

I also got my BL2 today,And she sure is seet,I've got her breaking in on the track now,I cleaned up the two main lines today.

I just shut her down to give her a break, shes been running for about a half hour.

Shane

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
The e-Bay boxcar photo IS weird - it looks like nothing the ROCK ever had, to me!

On the subject of RI aluminum boxcars, I think I will try to find and buy a Crown model - it's an extremely good match for the photo in Hile's book. I DO like makers that strive for a match to the prototype!

Did you see this one?

It's in HO (not good for Shane and N-scalers, but good for Mike and all Highend Operatiors). What they are calling a "Shark nose" is a LWT12 Jet Rocket set !!! Wonder who made it ???

- George

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Yeah, Mike. I hear that!

My train allowance is not only gone, but in the red ! :(

But I am hopeful that someday Atlas or P2K will make a new model of the aerotrain....

... yeah, right! And the Easter bunny will bring it to me, along with a new TA train set!

:rolleyes:

Shane - the P2K BL2 is a great little loco! Have fun!!!

:)

- George

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Well I've seem to have run in to some problems with this little engine.She doesn't seem to want to move.Even if I give her a little push I just cant get the motor to turn:confused:

I thought it might be the track even though I had just cleaned it but my other locos run fine, the light on the BL2 is bright and works accordingly with the control box.

This happened to me once before with a LL engine.The motor died in that one so I'm hoping that this aint the case,I do have a spare LL motor but dont want to play with it until I hear from the seller.

Shane

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
George,

That Athean three pack is the same set that I have,He got back too me this afternoon.He said that its lightly weathered ,not too much.Let me know if this is some thing you want to bid on as I would not want to bid against you.

As for my little BL2 she's seems to have had a change of heart as she now wants to run:confused: . She's still sluggish but that could just be from break in. I think she'll be alright,The seller said I could return it but getting out and about is not easy right now.So I hope she'll snap out of it.

Shane

I just put the BL2 on my test track which is just a loop of Kato track with a cheapo power pack,she went good for a few minutes then got sluggish so I changed direction and she was fine.I let here run for about 20 minutes then switched direction again she seems to be running up to speed now.I think she needed to get broke in on a small track that has a solid power supply.My layout has long blocks of power which I have been meaning to up grade.

I let you know how shes running later.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Shane -

I'm "broke" right now, so if you want the set, have at it!

I couldn't resist another E8 (to change to maroon and yellow wings - so it's YOUR fault for sending me that info! ;) )

AND an Athearn U33B on e-Bay - now I'm in the red!!!

I assume you have the newer N-scale P2K BL2?? My HO scale runs just great - but the headlights are rather dim on a non-DCC system, as on all current P2K models. That yours is bright makes me wonder. Do you run DCC?

Did the warranty card come with the BL2???
Life-like should be warranted for LIFE, so I would call THEM about the problem, instead of the seller! You might even get another one from them!!!

Good luck!

Mike - thank's for the alcohol tip !!!

- George

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
RI Stock Cars

Mike -

Here (hopefully) are some stock car photos.

They are out of the "Rock Island Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment" by Hile, Hickcox and Miller. This should be the second book on your wish list (Locomotives come first, after all! ;) ).

The top car is from series 77200-77599, rebuild from boxcars between 1944 and 1949. The original boxcars had been built about 1914! Outside length is 41' 7". The lower was from series 77600-77799, built in 1953 from boxcars with steel dreadnaught (20) or Murphy corrugated (remainder) ends. The size was about the same.

The book also shows an older (1930) car. In 1930, the RI had 3000 livestock cars. This fell to only 311 by 1967. Let me know if you want that photo.

- George

Attachments

• ristock2.jpg
    ristock2.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 47

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Thanks George, Shane had already e-mailed me that exact same page from you book !!!!!!! My layout is set in 1980, but I still want a stockyard (my dad's farming roots coming out, I suppose), so pppfffttt to the ROCK, they're gonna have 3-5 of 'em ..... LOL.

Shane - hope Sluggo turns out okay !!!! (I figured it needed a nickname by now).:D

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
Just thought I'd update you on ol'sluggo.

Shes feeling better now.I even put the KD's on.Then since I had her apart I figured that I should look at the running gear,which checked out fine,I did notice that the electrical contacts seemed a little off so I rebent them for better contact both inside and near the wheel pick-ups. shes running great now.

I do have a couple spots in the track that needs a little attention.

I dont think that LL makes the P2K in N-scale but this is the newest version of the BL2 it is totaly differant from my other one.

Well goto put a train on her to she what shes made of:) :) :D :D

Shane

George,
I must have just missed you last night and this morning.

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Shane -

http://www.lifelikeproducts.com/proto/nsclaebl2.htm

I'm a bit confused - so you have the newer *HO* model ???

http://www.lifelikeproducts.com/proto/bl2.htm

The funny thing about that model (which is the one I have) is that the box says P2K, but the web site says P1K !!??!!

http://www.lifelikeproducts.com/proto/locos.htm

SO, if it is HO ...

...are you now gonna play with the BIG BOYS ????!!!!

;) :D ;)

Just kidding ... (or how would you know it was really me ???).

Glad Slugs do'n better!

I would still call Life-like if the problems come back!

- George

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
George,

What I meant was that I don't think Life Like labels there N-scale as either P2K or P1K its just Life-Like:confused: dont know why I guess they figure us N-scaler's are smart enough to know the differance;) :p ;) :D :D

My BL2 is in N-scale of course!!:D :D And I'm right in love with it.Right now she's pulling 8 cars,1 track cleaner and of couse a caboose because a train just aint a train without a caboose.

The track cleaner is rather heavy of course so I figure I'll be able to run about fifteen cars behind her without too much problems on the 4% grades.I had to use the 4% to get up high enough to clear another main line in a short distance.

When and IF my daughter moves out I will have an HO lay out but I'll never give up the N-scale so Ive got to do all the detail work now while I can still see the little pieces.:) :)

Shane

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
No, it says "P2K" right on it - but, being N-scale, you need an electron-microscope to read it !!!

:eek:

Really, Shane, just think of the layout you could have in your daughter's room if modeled in N-scale !!!

It would be HUGE !!!

That kind of thing tempts me about N-scale from time-to-time.

But then I call up the HO support group, they send the nice men in white coats over, and I'm soon better!

;)

Glad the BL2 decided to work - maybe the union had gone on strike. Probably had some manager behind the throttle! Better look in (with a STRONG magnifying glass) and check out who is in the cab!

Have fun !!!

- George

RI541

Feb 20, 2002
Winchester N.H.
Visit site
You big meany head

Why you pick on us little guys?

Wait a minute..................That sounds awfully familiar...I just cant put my finger on it huuuummmmmmmmmmmmmm.:D :D

I've been thinking of putting a room in my garage there lots of room out there. But I dont like the thought of doing all the work.

Shane

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Hey Guys!

I've got a poll on the CRIP-RR Yahoo forum - vote for your top three RI models that you would like to see made. And if you don't like the 24 choices I've made, you can send a post for your "write-in" selection.

Vote early ... vote often (well, for three locos, anyhoo!).

The U30C is in the lead, would you beleive ???!!!

Speaking of U-boats, Stewart finally shipped the RI U25Bs today!
I reserved one almost a year ago !!!

Sorry, Shane - the Stewart is HO only!

- George