P2K 8000 Gal Tank - Help!

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by MasonJar, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    I started to assemble the P2K 8000 gallon tank (the "full" version, not the time-saver) last night.

    I managed to break about 1/2 of the grab irons, despite following their instructions about cutting them from the sprue, widening the holes for an easier fit, etc, etc.

    Am I missing something here? Is there anther approach I could use to increase success / decrease breakage?

    In a related question - does anyone know if a set of wire grab irons are made for this kit?


  2. jon-monon

    jon-monon Active Member

    I use my wife's cutical (sp?) nippers when she's not looking to cut small parts from the sprus.

    Also I bend my own grab irons using buss wire or brass wire, just using needle node pliers with the wire placed far enough back to get the proper width. But they are cheap to buy if you can find what you want.
  3. rockislandmike

    rockislandmike Active Member

    Hey Andrew, I feel for you - that was a b---- of a kit to put together. In fact, I had a pair, one of which I made into the Gauge tank car that I posted elsewhere; the other I have written off and thrown into my extra parts box (I got them on sale for $5CDN each anyways).
  4. sumpter250

    sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

    The problem you are having, plus.. even if you can get the grab irons on the model, they will break off very easily, just by picking the car up, is not limited to P2K kits!
    At the trade show, here in Rosemont, Il., I took the kit manufacturers to task about this issue. I doubt there will be any changes.
    There are grab irons, commercially available, in several styles and sizes. Overland models, and Detail Associates come to mind.
    Walthers catalog would list them under detail parts.
    I recently completed a Model Railways General Store kit of a D&RGW narrow gauge caboose, that had plastic end rails and ladders. Most of that detail has already broken off the model, and I will have to replace, with brass wire, and ladder stock.
  5. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    Hey Pete - I did that too! :(

    I turned the car over to put the grab irons on the other side. I placed it on a soft cloth like they say in the directions, and the ones I had successfully put on broke off.... :mad:

    Anyway, I will take a look for those "after-market" details in my Walthers Catalog.

  6. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    Thanks everyone...

    Well, I finally got it finished last night. I used the Detail Associates grab irons, although I had to modify the tank car grabs to make them fit properly.

    I will post a picture as soon as I get my hands on the digital camera again.

    Thanks for all the input.

  7. Russ Bellinis

    Russ Bellinis Active Member

    One of the best investments I ever made was a set of wire bending pliers from Micro Mark. I think the set was $40.00 U.S. for four pliers, but they are first rate quality tools. There are four pliers in the set, I also bought two additional pliers that were not in any set. I have one plier that will make a very gentle bend like the curved grab at the corner of a caboose. There is one the has a tapered nose with three sets of slots cut accross the jaws allowing three sizes of grab to be bent over the jaw. There is one that is designed to make the sharp turn back curve of the handrails at the ladder of a locomotive. For virtually any shape of curve needed in a piece of wire, I seem to have a plier custom designed to make it.
  8. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery


    The Detail Assoc. parts did need modification, and I bought a pair of those $1.99 pliers from Canadian Tire. They close flat, and have no teeth. The ends are squre (90 degrees). They were just the thing I needed to make the grab iron modifications.

    I know we are often proud when we can "make do", but sometimes a better tool does make the difference. ;)

  9. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    And here's the picture

    Proto 2000 8000 gal tank, lettered for Shell. Not the time-saver version (!). Detail Associates wire grabs replaced fragile plastic included with kit.

    Took about 5 hours of effort - it is the most detailed kit I have made to date, and I am still new at this!


    Attached Files:

  10. nhguy

    nhguy Member

    I used the sprue cutters they suggested and broke quite a few off myself. I got much better results doing it the old fashion way and used a sharp #11 xacto knife. I also plced my tank on the edges of the box it came in and didn't break any off while handling it. :) Bill S.

Share This Page