Other hobbies

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
My avatar should be a hint. I rebuild old Triumph motorcycles, working on my fifth now (had one stolen) I call it my "Turnip farm"
The last one took over two years to scrounge up the parts. It's always been a challenge to get them inspected but now our clever provincial gov't has made rigid framed illegal , so much for 35 years of bst

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Brian Schmidt said:
Are there any other otaku on here?

Man, I'm soooo out of date there. Too much time since I've seen anything new there. Bubble Gum Crisis and Dirty Pair (both original only) were the most recent I've seen....:D

Besides Anime? Astronomy eats up a few nights a month, but I havn't bought anything for that in a while. Thankfully, I'm at a point I'm content with for a while. There is a hobby that could eat up the cash fast (can't they all?)

Ham Radio (N0YBC/4) is another one. Haven't done that in a while. The radios I have are pretty old I can't mount them in the car I have now, and I don't have a 12 volt power supply so I could use them in the house. Kinda expensive hobby sometimes.....

Computers (naturally) is another one. I'm wanting a cheap, older computer and monitor so I can play around with Linux some. I just have not found that yet. But I'm still looking.

Tropical fish is one I share with my son. He has a 10 gallon tank and a few fish in it. I want a tank out in the living room, but until the two babies are old enough to keep out of it, that will have to wait.

Hmmm, that is all that is off the top of my head right now. I'm sure there are more. Part of the ADHD I guess.

Michael

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Music. Not playing it, I tried when I was younger but didn't have the patience for it. But I'm a big fan of what is known as "progressive" rock, basically music which is complex and somewhat symphonic. I attend two festivals each year, and spend way too much on cd's. Even so, there is so much I still want to buy! When I don't feel like modeling, I kick back with a few drinks (is that a hobby too?) and just listen to music. And when I do feel like modeling, I still listen to music, I just skip the drinks! Don't watch much tv, but the stereo is always on!

I also love hiking, but the last year or two has seen a dramatic downturn in my stamina, so that has decreased in frequency.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
screen said:
Catfishing and going to fishing gatherings to eat, camp, eat, tell lies, eat, fish and did I say eat?

Due to my love of camping I am building a teardrop trailer, which is taking all my time and cash right now - I am a member of a forum that will help you build and also provide you with free plans and advise. A teardrop is a small trailer that will sleep two with the galley that opens in the back. Some are pretty simple but most have A/C, TV w/DVD, and loads of acceseries. They can be pulled by a 4cyl. car and may weigh as little as 800lbs. FUN!

Something like Jethro Bodine's "batchelor pad", right?:D

My other hobby is Amateur (Ham) Radio. I enjoy talking to all my friends on 75 meters, 3.913KHz, LSB. I am also active on VHF and UHF. I enjoy talking to the International Space Station. I enjoy building and testing many differant antennas.

I haven't been working on it lately. I also enjoy working on my web site. www.geocities.com/droid3913

Andy:wave:

Attachments

• desk2.jpg
    desk2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 99

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
I cool-lect dolls and Victorian china.

My art deco hand bag collect is to dies for.

When I aint doing all that I surf fish and collect civil war artifacts and coal mine script.

Kice shak. I am one 10 meters.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I fly planes...(Military) C130 and (Civilian) Citation X. I've never thought of flying as work, so I guess it's a hobby. One of these days I need to figure out what I want to be when I grow up I suppose.

L

lester perry

One of other hobbies

How about antique tractors?
100_1044.jpg

This is a family thing we all take part.
100_1042.jpg

Myself & grandson and University of Delaware mascot (Udee)

100_1041.jpg

More of Udee
100_1040.jpg

OK that's the last one, There are 4 tractors all together a Case, Ford, Farmall A and a Farmall cub

Also have a wood shop.
Les

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Outdoors: Hiking, camping, biking, jogging, exploring, sailing, playing with my dogs, railfanning, gardening, cars, ... you know, things outside.

Indoors: Video games, Lego, 'drawing' / design, computers, cooking, movies, photography editing, board games, ... generally things that flex the brain.

If I were to really boil it down, I would have to say I am a photographic explorer. I like to see and experience new people, places, and things, and take pictures of all of it.

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
Geocaching is my other love (well, third behind my wife and my railroad). I spend more time caching in the winter than during the summer (something about snakes and spiders and critters that I don't like).

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
91rioja said:
Geocaching is my other love (well, third behind my wife and my railroad). I spend more time caching in the winter than during the summer (something about snakes and spiders and critters that I don't like).

Summer critters can be daunting - just ask my wife about her fear of snakes. Or don't, rather, as I will spend the next hour calming her down from just thinking about them.

Since there's a trend of hikers here it begs the question, are there notably good places that provide quality hiking and quality railfanning? I'm speaking nationally or even for the entire continent - perhaps worldwide.

Scoobie

Feb 21, 2006
Circle Pines, Minnesota
Well, I'm fairly new to MRing and it is, I think my most injoyable hobby. I also collect Bobby Orr stuff, coach hockey, golf , bike ride and as of last week my 15 yrs son and got a Ball Python, so I guess reptiles is a new one. I enjoy them all with my sons 15 & 7 yrs old. :thumb:

91rioja

Mar 18, 2006
High Point, NC
If you all don't know, Geocaching is a world-wide hunt for stashes of trade items. You have to use a GPS as the location is marked only by a set of coordinates. I have found that geocaching has provided me with the locations of many excellent outdoor trails and features that I would have never know existed. I have also found a few caches to be railroad related (one in Greensboro, NC and one in Wilmington, NC).

Dave Flinn

Dec 26, 2000
Lansing, NY USA
www.lehighvalleyrr.com
That's quite a collection of hobbies. I guess mine include ANYTHING railroad related, perhaps prototype more than model, aviation, photography and listening to classical music. I am also on the Board of our local regional theatre, so I guess you could say I have an interest there. Not the acting side, however. I sometimes think maybe I have too many hobbies, as I don't always have the time to spend on them I'd like.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
1) Homebrewing ( I was born in Belgium ) . I won several awards with my Guinness clone.
2) Subbuteo table football , please do not confuse that with foosball.
3) Homecomputers ( Linux OS )