Other hobbies

caellis

Jul 28, 2005
Mesa, AZ
My current hobbies in order of participation:
1) HO model railroading (20 plus years).
2) Large R/C boats. These are 48" 1/50 scale sea going tugs(20 years).
3) R/C airplanes (53 years).
4) Ham Radio (45 years) K3SBQ

So I never have trouble keeping busy. I have been retired 2 1/2 years and enjoying every minute.

Tayder

May 3, 2006
These toys keep me occupied when the weather permits! :) :D

Attachments

• my r-44.jpg
    my r-44.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 44
  • tt3.6.jpg
    tt3.6.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 43
  • kayak.jpg
    kayak.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 43

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Loud Music:
Since there's a trend of hikers here it begs the question, are there notably good places that provide quality hiking and quality railfanning? I'm speaking nationally or even for the entire continent - perhaps worldwide.

Come to Switzerland! We have LOTS of hiking trails in the Alps along the most spectacular RR routes! (End of plug for Swiss tourism! :D:D:D)

My other hobbies: I'm collecting, building styrene kits and superdetailing die-cast racing and sports cars from the 1950s up to the early '70s. (After 1970 racing cars perverted to inverted wings on wheels covered with advertisement blurb. :cry::( Don't like them anymore! :curse:)
Then I do some painting (railroad and racing themes, what else? :D) and photographing (RR again, but also pics outside in mother nature: landscapes, insects, flowers, clouds...)
On my computer I like to play adventure games (in the style of MYST) and running train simulator.
And finally I won't forget to take out wifey for a really fine dinner... :)

All this should keep me occupied for the day. Thank God I'm retired now, so I might find more time to 'work' seriously on my hobbies. sign1

Ron

Hey Lester:

One Grandpa worked at JI Case, after WWI, in bettendorf, Iowa. To those who wanted to know. Bettendorf, IA is home the Bettendorft tuck! My other Grandpa worked at Farmall (later International Havester) in Moline, Illinois. My Dad retired in 1994 from JI Case in Bettendorf IA and Wausau, Wisconsin. Have an uncle retired a few years ago from John Deere in Moline, Illinois. As you can see, my family was heavily into the farm impelements area. Another cool fact is, the Rock Island Railroad did most of the shipping and recieving!:thumb:

Andy:wave:

Bill54

May 2, 2006
Northern Virginia
As far as hobbies are concerned, currently I am only into MRR. Occasionally I go fishing for either bass or trout but that has taken a back seat for the last two years.

When I was in my 20's I had a 68 GTO that took most of my time. Not only was it a hobby it also was my transportation. I use to race it at the local track. That became too expensive to continue so I stopped racing it and started restoring it. I had it until 2003 when I gave it to my son-in-law.

From 1989 - 2000 I was heavily into racing electric radio control cars. Unfortunately the clubs in this area closed so the hobby went south.

Also from 1993 - 1995 I got into 1/24 scale slot cars. I use to work at the track and run the races as well as race in several weekly events.

My wife and I enjoy camping. We started tent camping in 1986 then bought a 24' Travel Trailer in 2000 and most recently bought a 35' fifth wheel. Some people say it isn't camping because we have all the comforts of home but I still say it's camping since we usually have a camp fire!

Now it's MRR only.

Bill

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Bill, i bet you could get a nice layout inside that 35 footer. A trailer or a cabin is the only way to camp - no flies, no rain , no bathroom searching, no fear of animals stealing your gear, etc... Just take it to the grocery store, fill it up, and park it anywhere and watch Nascar. The kids will be happy too.

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
My "big three" are model railroading, shooting sports - specifically (at least most recently) competitive bullseye shooting, and motorcycling. I cycle through these three. However, I have the curse of curiosity, so virtually nothing is off limits!

spurline

Aug 22, 2006
Lebanon,Pa.
mike-moore.magix.net
Other hobby intrest

Besides trying to master the art of model railroading,I like to challenge myself by building model fire apparatus,any type any scale if its on the market I try to get it,modify it to the specs I am looking for.:wave:

Mike