Operational switching layouts

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I assume that the layout will be wider than 3 feet deep at the ends, or you're modeling N scale. In any case, 3 feet deep is an awfully deep reach, especially for a bi-level layout on the upper level.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Well, the idea is a P2P operational switching layout with a yard. No loops to complete a continuous run. Just dead end stubs. I don't have to have the top level 3 feet wide but I guess I could compremise as long as I could still fit in the yard that I mentioned. Here's a starting drawing. I put a track on the back right by the wall which will be the grade going up to the top level.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 288

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
scan0001.jpg

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
Ok i have had a few drinks and came home and put this togather. 2 level layout R30" min curves 1 Helix which if your going to run smaller stuff you can make however large you like or If your going to N scale then even smaller.

I even added a island which you could have a interchange with another railroad and have a few staging tracks hidden behind some buildings. Pull the train out into the yard drop her off and pick up another train and bring it into the island. So much you are able to do and IF you really wanna you can make the Helix a Huge mountain and be able to pop up in the middle if you need to access it.

The top and bottom level would be close to the same. If you could let me know where the doors are we can add staging tracks on either end of the point so you can have OFF LAYOUT points where you can stag trains and bring them into your world. I like that idea since you can have a Intermodel train running HOT threw your layout and just park it once you have reached your West point. The Grab a passenger train and run her the way back.

This is a great concept and is what im going to get into my new layout which im really taken my time putting togather. Im planning on modeling 1979 Conrail line from Mid Pennsy to Buffalo NY. There is a line that travels south north that had helper loco area which will serve great for my helix up to OLean NY yard and interchange. Im going to have a island in the futrue letting me add some more swtiching into the mix. I shall post a pic of what I have so far soon.

Hope you like this idea. which is I think alot better for a 2 level layout then having a huge run grade to the 2nd level.

My 2cents well that was a long rant thats my 30cents

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I get things cleaned up a bit and take some pictures. I have to finish hanging dry wall on my sie of the newly installed wall. The reason for a grade is for some chanlenge. At our club layout and module layout's both... Well, put it this way. There's not such thing as a grade. It's all one level. Flat! Tat's why I want to play arond with trying to figure out the limits of what it would take to get up the grade. I never was a fan of the helix. I like the island idea and the yard design. The yard has left enough room to add a locomotive and car servicing tracks with a couple more tracks "across the street" for switching. A minimum R of 22" for any curves.

gottaBreal

Sep 13, 2006
Great White North
Ok that opens up all new things....either you modeling nothing but 50' boxcars or your layout is set back in the 40's and 50's.

With 22" R for your curves I assume your gonna use snap track? A helix with a 22R curve is gonna be tiny and will leave you alot of room to add more sidings which i didnt add any since Its your LAYout not mine.

Ill draw up another plan.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Na, I will be using Proto87 hand laid track. I found a layout today featured in Railmodel Journal, October 05' issue page 41. I like the set up of this layout for the top level but the yard has a couple issue's. So if I could take your yard idea and incorporate it into this design then I think it would work pretty good. I'll have to see if I can make an attempt to take the drawing from the book and put it on the Atlas RTS program to make the changes.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Oh, I forgot to mention I'm modeling current era. I have a 5 set of 48' articulated well car's, 6 set of coal bethgon's, a few 60' flat's. My biggest locomotive's are AC4400's,SD70, 80 & 90 Mac's but I'll probably use SD40-2's and smaller for this layout and just use my larger equipment for train show's on the club layout. Smallest locomotive I'm running is an Atlas MP15. Maybe even a TrackMobil if they would hurry up and get them in stock.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Charles

You've got a few clashes in your druthers/givens. You mention handaid Proto87 track. Does this mean parts from Proto87 stores or track to Proto87 specs? If the latter, are you installing Proto87 wheelsets on all your equipment? The flangeways on Proto87-spec track will not take NMRA code 110 (standard) wheels. Nor will Proto87-spec wheels go through NMRA-spec turnouts without problems in most cases.

The LDSIG rule of thumb says you need 3x the car length for your minmum radius for trouble-free operation. If operating 60ft cars, that says you should have a 26" minimum radius, especially in a helix. 22" radius works well for 50ft and smaller cars in HO.

I need to review the entire thread again to see where this is going. Do you have any pics, files, or diagrams to show your latest thinking, particularly the RJ Oct 05 plan?

yours in planning

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Sorry about that. I should have made it clear. I'm using proto87 products and handlaying it in NMRA standards. All is fine except I have some doubt's about their frog's. I'm not sure if standerad flanges will work or not in proto87 frogs. 90% of what I own have Kato roller bearing rucks which have extreamly low profile flanges. I'm still trying to get something drawn up. I've already gone through a couple of drawings but I just don't have the nack for layout design. I am trying to get our scanner to wok so i can get something up

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Here is a link to a yard I really like. http://andrews-trains.fotopic.net/p10142324_v10.html Question is can I incorporate this yard into my space while still having a grade running from top to bottom level on the inside nearest to the wall? It say's this file is 33 feet. Could it be scaled down smaller to 16 feet to fit my need's? Maybe even curve part of it around to the 11 foot stretch.

Another "L" layout I found in MRJ November 2005 issue page 20 it has an article on switch backs. Here it show's the layout to be 10'Lx10'Lx2'W. The drawing show's these switch backs with 3% grades. Now in 11'x17'x3' , could I go to 2 1/2% grade not using any switch backs at all? I'd prefer not having any but if I must then I want to limit it to one switch back before reaching the top tier.

For the top if I can fit that yard in with an industry here and there with enough room for buildings then I've got it made. I'll just need to get it redrawn to fit onto the benchwork. Only thing from there is coming up with an excellent switching design for the bottom tier while having room for the grade to the top.

A small island is still in mind and I can add on another module if needed but I'm trying to avoid it if at all possible because the room is also being used for my personal storage and a set of drums which I play frequently. On top of that I have a desk devoted to being my workbench for my trains.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
KCS said:
Sorry about that. I should have made it clear. I'm using proto87 products and handlaying it in NMRA standards. All is fine except I have some doubt's about their frog's. I'm not sure if standerad flanges will work or not in proto87 frogs. 90% of what I own have Kato roller bearing rucks which have extreamly low profile flanges. I'm still trying to get something drawn up. I've already gone through a couple of drawings but I just don't have the nack for layout design. I am trying to get our scanner to wok so i can get something up
Thanks for the info, sounds like a fun approach. I would ask Andy Reichart about his Proto87 frogs - he will give you the straight scoop. The problem with the wheels is not normally the depth of the flanges but the width of the tread and flanges.

regards
Fred

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Boy did I jump the gun. I was looking at the room and it dawned on me that where I wanted the 11' section to go is where the breaker box is. Oop's. So I'm reducing the 11' to 10' to allow a little room between the wall and the box plus it would make that section to be evenly moduled into two 5' modules. on the other end of the "L" on the 17' section I'm adding in a 4' module extending outward. Now off to see if I can have some plan's reduced to fit in the space.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
OK. I did some re-planning. Here is the benchwork drawn out using RTS and regular old paint shop. Now it's trying to get a track plan down on it. I still haven't gotten a response on the yard design and trying to size it down to fit in the 17' stretch. Any idea's guy's?

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
OK. I did some re-planningannounce1 . Here is the benchwork drawn out using RTS and regular old paint shop. Now it's trying to get a track plan down on it. I still haven't gotten a response on the yard design and trying to size it down to fit in the 17' stretch. Any idea's guy's?

Attachments

• recon.JPG
    recon.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 153