Operation Forum?

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Operation forum anybody?
In light of a couple of threads expressing a interest in a forum for ops and op puzzles I thought I'd post this poll to see just how many people would actually be interested. I admit it may not for space or tech reasons be possible to add another forum, but why worry about it if the poll shows there isn't enough interest?

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Wow, i agree.Direct from the Larry storage Banks :)

By the way Brakie, whats a tramp local??
Nice to see some interest.Ive been spending a bit of time in a few of the op sigs @ yahoo and see alot to learn on the subject.The nice thing is,you can take it as far as you want.You dont have to be exacting and do all the paperwork etc.Some really turn it into a Job.Others add a few things to add enjoyment.The Car cards and waybills are an interesting addition to bring actual modeling of freight movements into the picture.

It would seem to me that if we have someone on board that knows how the big boys do it in the real world there should be no hesitation. I do have to admit though, that no RR Co. in their right mind would ever build anything resembling my layout.

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
This is really a good idea. I have basic ideas of how I would like to operate my layout - but I have never encountered an actual "operating" layout with the schedules, load lists, etc. The whole idea of having a purpose for the trains is facinating and I want to learn. Count me in. :thumb: :)

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Shaygetz,
I have a microsoft Works program for car cards and waybills. if you will find it helpful,let me know and i can send them to you.
I also have a commodities list and database of industries around north america that shipped and recieved by rail.
Wheel reports are interesting.I have a couple from the GN circa 1968 that lists all cars and commodities that ran on a throughfreight from west coast to chicago via st.paul MN.
Perhaps Larry can get a few old wheel reports of an eastern flavor.What do you say larry? Any possibility of dredging up a few old wheel reports??

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I really like the idea of an operation forum. When I designed my layout (really two layouts connected by a helix) I knew I wanted to satisfy two criteria: lots of industrial switching and scenic stretches thru which I could could run mainline trains. The scenic part will be accomplished via the NYC Hudson and Electric divisions. Primarily operation on the NYC will consist of running the various name trains on schedule, per a 1952 schedule I have. There is east (Grand Central) and west staging. There will be east and west dispatchers(?) who will bring the trains from staging at appropriate times and send them on their way. I don't envision engineers for these trains, the dispatchers will simply send them to each other. If I had a lot of personnel available, I could assign each train an engineer, but it would not be all that interesting a run. Freight here will consist of the 60th St. yards, into which trains from the west staging would run. These would have engineers and run as extras under the suervision of the east end dispatcher. Also interchange with the JGL, supervised by the west end dispatcher. The only industry will be a GM plant. The NYC used to bring gondolas with auto frames from NJ to 60th St on carfloats, then run them north to the plant in Tarrytown. This is something I'd like to do. Also, on the west end I plan to use a 4-6-0 to bring milk cars from a branch to a siding on the main, where a Mohawk with a long milk train will stop to pick them up. On the return trip, empties will be dropped off.
On the JGL, operations will be more freight oriented. There is a small yard at the east end, with hidden staging east of it. From this staging will come traffic from basically any road I choose, as well as JGL trains. Interchange will be at the yard. From the west, JGL trains from Pa. will arrive, having travelled thru two towns loaded with industry.

Folk like Brakie and any others who can relate ways that the railroads would use to get freight cars to their destinations would be most helpful. At one town I thought to have a dedicated switcher. Blocks of cars going to that town would be dropped off by mainline freights, cars leaving the town could be added, and the mainline train continues to the yard, where crews will be changed. Meanwhile the local switcher can deliver the cars. The local switcher would run to the yard periodically for servicing. Or, the mainline train could just pass by the town and have those cars dropped at the yard, and a local turn could run them back to the town. There may be other options I don't know.

A factory producing auto engines on the JGL is a supplier for the GM plant on the NYC. A turn will pick up the car and bring it to the yard. At the yard, it will be placed with other cars going to the NYC and brought to the interchange. A NYC train will pick it up, bring it to the 60th St. yard, later it will be brought to the GM plant.

What I'd like to see discussed is how is this type operation handled with various systems and do I have to leave all equipment where it is between actual operating sessions? Inbetween sessions I want to be able to run trains, and not have to shuffle everything back prior to next operating session.

Sorry for the long ramble, I am only now getting to the point where some of the operations I discussed are possible. So far, operating has consisted of sequence schedules, that is, I start with trains in particular places. I make up a list of movements to be performed in sequence. Three or four operators (all I can get right now) just select the next train scheduled and do take it where indicated. This has been fun and is ok for now. With more track being laid and scenery construction starting to move along, time for more formal operations is not too far off.

Gary

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
I think this would be good for everyone, I like others need to watch the pro's to see how it is supposed to be done. Heck, I have never suceeded at working the John Allen Timesaver! So all the help we can get would be appreciated. Jim, :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops:

Tad

Apr 8, 2003
Boise, Idaho
Visit site
Looking at the votes, it appears that there is more interest in operations than there appeared to be in the previous poll.

If there was such a forum, maybe it would be a learning experience that would help more people start operations on their own layouts.