Operation Forum?

Tileguy

This was mentioned Jim in the board suggestions forum.The thing about operations is that it is such a diverse subject with many differant facets and many differant approaches.I was glad to see Dave agreed and decided on the poll to determine if there was enough interest to warrant it.
I am curious about the Not Sure column,and would like to see some of these voters chime in to get a feel for why the not sure.Is it
I dont know enough about it to make a decision
I never have thought about it
What is operations.......etc etc
Some of these folks may find it fascinating and some may find it overwhelming.I do believe that an operations forum will enhance everybodies understanding of how real railroads operated at the very least and may increase the (for lack of a better term)Play Value of thier hobby.......Todd

Tyson Rayles

For the record Dave hasn't agreed to anything Todd. I just posted the poll on my own to see if there is enough interest to warrant bugging Dave and the powers to be about it! :D :D :D If past experience is any indication, if the forum is established about half of the "not sures" will end up using it to one degree or another. :)

fifer

Love Operation

Hey Ty , i'm in . In fact in my head I just pulled out those 2 40' empty boxes to shove in that 3 bay grain car and haul back the second empty boxcar.
Mike:thumb:

Lemur

I would love to see an Ops forum. That would defiantly help me get another view of the hobby that I have only caught a glimpse of. I have ideas on how it will work, but not sure at this point if it is the right idea. :confused: :confused:

Before I started to follow all of awesome work going on in the Scratchin’ & Bashin’ forum, I had not really entertained the idea of creating my own structures out of pieces of wood, plastic as well as that left over cereal box from breakfast.

Ops is another way that could make my own experience with my layout that much more enjoyable. :thumb:

Doug Trouten

Ok I am the one who posted the Operations poll. Unfortunately i didnt include an option for those of use who arent currently into ops but do plan on doing ops. I know I am planning on using the CC/waybill system with some Time table/train orders thrown in for the express freight and the passenger trains once i get some sort of layout built.

I have slowly been gathering all info I can about ops. Right now I have roughly 75 pages of material that I have found on the web and printed out and I still have more that I will be printing out once I get a new black ink cartidge.

Tyson Rayles

Doug where did you post your operation poll?????? If I had known you already had posted one I wouldn't have posted this one (why have duplicates?). Or are you refering to a different forum?

Doug Trouten

Tyson the poll is on this forum http://www.the-gauge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7899 I also posted similar on Trainboard, Nscale.net, and i think one other forum. As I also mentioned I forgot to include an option for those who arent operating but are planining on it.

Over on Train board it works out to be about 86% of the people who have voted either currently do ops or are planning on getting into ops. Heres the thread (like most polls you must vote to see the results) http://www.trainboard.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/get_topic/f/13/t/001323.html?

The one on Nscale.net comes out to be 59% of the people are into ops or planning on getting into ops. The thread can be viewed here http://www.nscale.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=77

Tileguy

Doug, that would mean between the 2 of us we are keeping the ink companies in busines as i have been doing the same thing.Wanna compare notes??
Have you been to the ry ops sig on yahoo??
I found the GN wheel reports facinating material.David Husman has really provided some great suff as has Bill Jewett and others.I decided not to print out the industry Database but did download it and have it filed in my HD.50,000 + industries in North America.We live in a great time and age dont we :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Originally posted by Tileguy
I am curious about the Not Sure column,and would like to see some of these voters chime in to get a feel for why the not sure.Is it
I dont know enough about it to make a decision
I never have thought about it
What is operations.......etc etc
Well, here's input from someone who did vote "not sure." Frankly, I voted that way because I wasn't sure... (Surprise!!):rolleyes: You have to look at this from my prospective as well as others. There are 16 forums here, of which about half hold an interest to me. I wouldn't advocate getting rid of the others simply because I don't frequent them, just as I wouldn't say not to have an ops forum, just because I may not participate or even understand. My "not sure" simply means that I have no interest at this time, but I could in the future.

I feel like I have so much to learn now, that taking on another aspect of railroading would be overwhelming. Heck, I still don't know what a "plugged door" on a boxcar is.:eek:ops: :eek:ops: Visiting a fourm on ops would be like me going to a round-table discussion on astrophysics.

Right now I enjoy making scenery, I think I like doing that better than running trains. Someday I will have a layout that will allow me to make up a consist without placing the cars in it manually, I will enjoy doing that too. I know that some here enjoy running a detailed ops session, that's great and I'm glad. Me running an ops session? Dunno, not sure...:wave: :wave:

Don

Doug Trouten

Tileguy- I have been a member of thge RYOpssig yahoo group for alomst a year now along with the Car Cards yahoo group. I have downloaded all of the info they have in thier file sections to use for references.

I have also gotten a ton of info from http://www.gatewaynmra.org/operate.htm and http://www.railroadforum.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=44

Having an internet connection allows me to get 150% more info on railroad ops then if I went to the local library or the LHS, my LHS doent have any Ops book in stock and my Library has about the same amount of info.

Tileguy

Don ,Thanks for the input i appreciate it :)

Doug,I love the ops sig.Some great folks,a ton of information and knowledge i couldnt hope to have learned any other way.
I'll see ya there :D

fifer

Thanks Don

Thanks for the note Don , but there is no need to explain , we have all been in your shoes.
No matter what the hobby , different guys like to do different things and my experiance has been that once a guy thinks he knows everything he moves on to be whats known as a rivet counter and they are guys who can't stand to look at a Bachmann car and see some potetial.
So keep doing what you love until you get tired and then pickup the next thing.
I do not think the learning curve in model railroading ever ends, about the time someone says "They NEVER did that" , you'll see a picture of it being done.
Have fun Don !
Mike
PS a plug door boxcar has a door that , when closed ,pulls itself in flush with the car side like a plug.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Re: Thanks Don

Originally posted by fifer
Thanks for the note Don , but there is no need to explain....

...PS a plug door boxcar has a door that , when closed ,pulls itself in flush with the car side like a plug.
Mike, Tileguy,

Well, since it was asked if those "not sure" people would respond, I did. I don't blame anyone for asking either. The more information you have, the closer you can come to the correct descision. :wave: Notice I said, "closer" since there really isn't a correct descision here. maybe a few more "don't knows" will do likewise and then there can really be an information overload...:eek: :eek:

And thanks for the answer about the plug door. Now this leads me to another question. Like, how many other types of doors are there, and do they all have names too?:D :D

Don

fifer

Doors

Don , there are many makes of doors and I do not know the names but I do know that boxcars generally have 3 different side door configurations, Plug door , sliding door , or a comdination of either or both.Some auto carrier boxcars also had end doors much like the auto racks of today.
Mike

Tileguy

Last Chance to vote!!!
We had hoped for a little better turnout for total votes.If youve been gone awhile and are just stopping back please get in your vote.An operations forum looks like a lot of fun :)