Oldie but newbie

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
Kingman Arizona/Dolan Springs Arizona
I am what u call an oldie in age but a newbie in model railroading. I have not had a model railroad setup since I was 10 and now many years later
cry.gif
I have had the HO spirit enflamed. I will be asking for a lot of help here if you don't mind my forthcoming post. Any help will be really appreciated.
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

N

nachoman

northwest arizona...where abouts? Oh yeah..and welcome aboard!!

kevin

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Welcome aboard Ken, we love to help the newbe`s to the hobby, it give`s us a chance to show off how much we DONT no,sign1 But serously, there are many great modelers here only to happy to give advice and help when we can...so sit back, kick off them boots and sit a spell, and tell us about your empire, and future plans,announce1 announce1 you never no I might even learn a thing or to.:thumb: :thumb: ..have a good one steve:wave: :wave:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
nachoman said:
northwest arizona...where abouts? Oh yeah..and welcome aboard!!

kevin
Let me guess, somewhere around Kingman, Lake Havasu or perhaps Bullhead City. All "high desert areas".:D

But let me welcome you to the Gauge, glad to see you here.:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
Getting started

Told u all that I will be asking for a lot of help! sign1
1. I have available an empty room (24x20). How big of a layout should I start with?
2. I want to start off first with a backdrop that I can airbrush myself (6' H x 14' L). Where can I review some backdrop pics?
3. Where in this forum can I view some of members layouts?

Thanks for helping me start.

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
:wave: welcome to the gauge :wave: i'd start out with a small industral switching layout that could be added on. have know several who started out with a huge layout and never got it finished and in the end droped out of model RR.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Ken,

If you're looking for layout pics, you'll find them all over the Gauge. Try the Photo, Track Planning, and HO forums. You'll find photos and tips in the Tech forum and any forum on the "reference section". Go to the Gallery and look around, lots of ideas all over the place. Got a specific question? Don't hesitate to ask, even if it's been asked before, there's a bunch of willing modelers here just itching to help.announce1 announce1

Your only obligation is to keep us posted on your progress. I really doubt that any Gauger can get enough of looking at pictures of other people's work.:thumb: :thumb:

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
jim currie said:
wave.gif
welcome to the gauge
wave.gif
i'd start out with a small industral switching layout that could be added on. have know several who started out with a huge layout and never got it finished and in the end droped out of model RR.
announce1 Thanks Jim for your suggestion but I do not intend to drop out of model RR unless the man above takes me home. I am 73 and with 23 grandchildren, I want to have a model RR set-up that they can enjoy after I am taken home.
thumbsup.gif

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
ezdays said:
Ken,

If you're looking for layout pics, you'll find them all over the Gauge. Try the Photo, Track Planning, and HO forums. You'll find photos and tips in the Tech forum and any forum on the "reference section". Go to the Gallery and look around, lots of ideas all over the place. Got a specific question? Don't hesitate to ask, even if it's been asked before, there's a bunch of willing modelers here just itching to help.announce1 announce1

Your only obligation is to keep us posted on your progress. I really doubt that any Gauger can get enough of looking at pictures of other people's work.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
redface2.gif
Forgot this question: If I do find a photo here on Gauge that I would like to use as a backdrop, am I permitted to do so? I am going to do my backdrop before I do my layout.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Ken,

Please seek the permission of the photographer before downloading and using anything from The Gauge. You may reach most members by:

1) Posting a response in the thread where you found the picture.
2) Clicking their user name (on the left) and seeing if they'll accept an email and/or Private Message (PM).

In most cases, especially with photos that are uploaded to The Gauge, the size and resolution of the picture will not be adequate for your needs. Linked photos can be any size, but still may not be large enough.

If you are just using them for inspiration though, I think most would be flattered! ;)

Andrew

Arizona Heat

Jan 26, 2006
MasonJar said:
Ken,

Please seek the permission of the photographer before downloading and using anything from The Gauge. You may reach most members by:

1) Posting a response in the thread where you found the picture.
2) Clicking their user name (on the left) and seeing if they'll accept an email and/or Private Message (PM).

In most cases, especially with photos that are uploaded to The Gauge, the size and resolution of the picture will not be adequate for your needs. Linked photos can be any size, but still may not be large enough.

If you are just using them for inspiration though, I think most would be flattered!
wink.gif
MasonJar thanks for your response. If I find a photo that I would like to do as a backdrop I would ask permission. The photo would only be used as a visual image for me to supersize by airbrush to my backdrop of 6'H x 14'L

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Ken,

If you are just using them as a guide/inspiration for painting a backdrop, then I say go ahead. I was thinking that you'd be downloading them to print and use like the Backdrop Warehouse printed backdrops.

Andrew

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Ken,
Welcome! :wave:
1. I have available an empty room (24x20). How big of a layout should I start with?
I, don't know.......maybe 24 X 20 :D :D Any idea about whether to model a prototype road, or freelance? There are lots of ideas burried in the massive numbers of pages of this forum...........ask, it's quicker. :D
Pete