Oldie but newbie

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Ken: Are you planning a serious model railroad or something to entertain the grandkids or something in between?
On one of our layout tours, there's a fellow who has a nice E shaped layout where the trains run around the outside of the tables but he has interesting industries and cities inside. There's a big quarry with toy trucks in it, and a lot of trees made out of pinecones and such.
My own suggestion would be to make a set of 4 2'x8' tables and join them together in a square. This gives you a fairly large space to start with (12x8 when done) but probably achievable, with a large space inside. When you get that done to your satisfaction, you can add another pair of 2x8s (or 2x4 or...) and work on an expansion.
(At the gauge, we remind you there are no stupid questions. Some of the answers, however,...)

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
Jim Currie was all too right, I dove right in with a 12x22 foot aprox layout, did No research all I knew was that it had to have a model of my home village. I went to swap meets and bought five engines that turned out to be the wrong timeframe and have to be replaced (now I've been off work for a year ,bad back) Now when I look at photo's of layouts like Dr Waynes(sp) I wanna chuck my junk in the burn barrel and collect seashells ( but only for a second)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Glad you could join us Ken! I guess the size of the layout you build depends on what you want to accomplish. There are some mighty fine layouts built on a 4X8 sheet of plywood but we modelers tend to salivate when we hear about large rooms like yours! :) What do you dream the railroad might be like?
Ralph