New Skin!! New Look!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by zathros, Jul 30, 2013.

1. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

A new look for Zealot. We are a "New Zealot"! We stand on our own. Not a "sister or brother forum", we are Zealot. Our friends are still our friends and now we have a new look, with the same great group of people. Bugs will be and are being worked out. The "Quick Links" is between "Search and Log Out", click the blank button for the same drop down Menu. I find it incredibly easy to read, and most of all, I find that the pictures that are posted really stand out.

Personally, I love it! I feel liberated. No more reminders of forums I left and was booted out of. It seemed that everyone used that old skin! That old "beforeskin" has been axed, now we're out there for all too see! :)
  2. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Wahahahaha, Brilliant wordplay............ This is definitely the place to 'hang out' now... :rolleyes: We have all become a eunuch, erm, unique community.

I have to admit that, at first, it was: WTF?????????? The site was really unresponsive and slow, and I panicked a little thinking something had gone 'mammary vertical', as I had just installed a web based graphic package. But, I partook in rolling a paper-cone, and laid back on my couch for 20 minutes. When I tried again all was well. And, as I am replying to this, I have now found out the W in WTF! :p.

So far, I REALLY LIKE IT!!!!!!!! I always had trouble reading the text on the old style skin, especially at night :cool:, but with this skin(less?) version, it is clear and sharp. And yeah, as you pointed out, the photos really jump out at you now!!

Nice work all of those involved. :thumb::thumb:

Over the last 7 months or so, this site has improved to no-end.

I feel proud to be a Zealotonian!!!!!

3. Bhelliom

Bhelliom Member

Umm, OK. I wish I could say I like it, but I don't, really. With my failing eyesight, I can hardly see the text now. Not enough contrast for me. Sorry.

Scott K.
  4. tjbmurph

tjbmurph Member

While the pictures do stand out, I, too, am finding the text hard to read. Hopefully, it's just a matter of getting used to...
  5. DanBKing

DanBKing Active Member

Would be a nice idea to be able to set our own personal preferences for text colour, etc. Settings could be saved as a cookie.

Just a thought!:mrgreen:
  6. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

On some sites, the user has the option of choosing the background colors. The being able to do so, will help some who have problems with the color schemes. I must say, that the change caught me me by surprise. I was using the old color schemes and when I saved/uploaded my photos, it came up on a different schematic "BLUE FOX", I thought that my build thread was hijacked to another universe. I can live with it but there should be a greater contrast between the background and the lettering, ie. Black background and white lettering, Yellow background black letters.
  7. PaperAir

PaperAir Active Member

too dark for me and my old eyes.but nice looking.
  8. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

Several times I tried to lock in today but only got a blank page - this must have been at the time when the site was revamped. I also thought my browser was hacked but a little chat with our Admin cleared things up fast. ;-)

It is good to see that Zealot is now on its own.

However, I have extreme difficulty reading the text. I barely can read it and have to get much closer to the screen for that. It would be great if you could turn it into white; light grey over dark grey is really difficult to make out and should be used for side notes only, not for the main text. And some of the smileys do not blend well together with the background, they have a white halo / rim around them.

The "edit" and "quote" buttons can hardly be read, too. The letters are way too small. The thread rating and the post icons are hard to see, too, because everything is so blue-grey-blue.

I hope these issues can be fixed.
  9. zathros

If the Contrast, Brightness, and Gamma may be set too high on your monitors, and on most, they are set like that from the factory, I would try and adjust them. Try to get the darkest background. This will then, when your eyes get used to it, allow the letters to pop out. Viewed in a dark environment, it is especially noticeable. It may take getting used to for some but I personally believe , as I have set up so many Home Theater systems, once you get used to it, you will think other sites are harshly lighted.

I have a 24" Acer monitor and the "EDIT" and "quote" buttons stand out. I tried it on my sons Acer Laptop and it was the same thing there. As I stated, most monitors have the Contras, Brightness and Gamma set up too high. This is done at the factory so the computer monitors look bright on the store shelf. Tweak it a little and see if it makes a difference. The attached picture should help you. You should see all shades of green to black on the scale, the rest is self explanatory. By the way, the color is too high when Red bleeds past the edges. I have the resolution set to 1080P too. :)

10. Rogerio Silva

Rogerio Silva Active Member

So THAT'S what happened! I was worried about what had happened to the colors...:confused:
    I am lucky enough not to have any problems for reading it so far, but I agree with some of the issues that have been pointed here, as buttons being hard to see, or even disappearing! In my case, the "New posts" button, next to the "Calendar" one, is in blank...:cry:
    Well, I believe that changes can cause a bit of chaos, until we all get used to it, and it "settles down". I know the great team here will take care of everything, as usual. :thumb: :thumb:
  11. zathros

In my first post I stated that between the "Search" and "Log Out" buttons was the "Quick Links" drop down menu, it's still there. It will all be sorted out. :)
  12. sgoti

sgoti Member

Well, there's a reason newspapers and books (remember them?) are printed dark on white. Yes, it's an ink saver, but it's also for plain readability.

I can appreciate the reasons behind the "new look", but it just isn't doing it for me.
  13. zathros

I can appreciate your comment but it is subjective. Mechanical printing has to use the cheapest economics for the throw away media. I have see far too many websites with this style and are doing well. Besides, you can adjust how your text is read if you highlight it and choose a color, or just highlight it to read it. It will work out in the long run and the consensus publicly and even more so privately, is "Positive". :)
  14. Padre

Padre Member

"If the Contrast, Brightness, and Gamma may be set too high on your monitors, and on most, they are set like that from the factory, I would try and adjust them."
    My monitor is adjusted for ALL the sites and browsers I use, why do I have to "adjust" them for just this site?
    The entry page I had bookmarked does is changed along with the colors. I do not care for the change, it is hard for me to read too.

How about a vote on the change instead of springing it as a surprise?
  15. It really took me by surprise. Is very different. I like the blue color. And I understand the reasons behind the change. And it is true images kind of "pop out". It makes them attractive.

But in my ancient monitor this grey text over black background is very hard to read. Even after adjusting the contrast/brightness sets.

Since I'm not planning on buying a new monitor any soon, I wish there were an option to choose the color combination. (the German paper forum) offers 8 different skins to choose from, so that users can use the one they consider appropriate for their own eyes or the one they prefer to save energy.

Some people like to have choices, not imposed changes without previous notice or consulting.

Ciao. I'll be back when my head and eyes don't ache trying to read/write in this forum.

16. sgoti

sgoti Member

Wow- Whatever you did in your reply made it MUCH easier on the eyes! Any chance of making that the default?
  17. redwolf28386

redwolf28386 Member

:cry: sorry I'm not fond of the new harsh on the eyes.
  18. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

The option that I use, is that I highlight the text and then goe to the letter coloring and choose white. this will bring out the text like the reply that Zathros did in his last comment. the only problem I had, was that I also post on other sites that have a white background and I have to repeat the process to turn the lettering to black on white, or the words will not be visible.

Keep the grey background but leave the comments box with a white background so as to contrast away from the grey overall background and make it easier to read. The members should not have to toggle back and forth to read the comments and not to mention, it also affects the sponsors ads as well. The main subjects should jump out at you, and not hide in the background.
  19. sgoti

sgoti Member

Too much trouble to toggle, as you said.

And how about those of us reading on tablets (as I am now)? Not easy to adjust contrast, etc on those...

A new look could be good, just not THIS look.
  20. inky

inky Member

I like it.