My next project

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Now that the river scene is pretty much done, it's time to connect the track on the trestle to the tracks that connect to the main on the Garfield branch. This requires about 8' of street running trackage. I've just finished laying the rail, going to start on the structures now. The blacktop for the streets will come later, after running for awhile to ensure no problems. Here is the bridge bringing the rails to the street intersection.

Attachments

• p1010267jpg.jpg
    p1010267jpg.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 415

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
In this shot, the track off the bridge enters on the right. The loco is running down the middle of Monroe St. The intersection is the intersection of Monroe and River Sts. The red brick structure is one I started building for a previous layout. When I took it out of its box it had a few pcs broken off but won't be hard to finish. It will wrap around the backdrop.

Attachments

• p1010271jpg.jpg
    p1010271jpg.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 403

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
This shot shows the space between the red brick industry (any suggestions as to name, type of business?) and some cement silos. I'm not sure how I'm handling this yet. My wife paints and I hope she'll be able to give me a suitable horizon. That would be my first choice! The entire area between the industries is paved. The end of the brick bldg. wil have truck docks. The silos perhaps an office. The cement trucks will use the other end of the silo area.
This photo also shows the turnouts and crossing. These are working well, I need to install switch machines. Or manual throws. I added the cars to the photo to help you visualize the road.

Attachments

• p1010272jpg.jpg
    p1010272jpg.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 399

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
And this is where the silos will be. They are just leaning against the backdrop here, they will come out 5". Perhaps someone can help me here. I'd like a Pirates head, profile or 3/4 view, in black and white. I need a decal of this to place on the left hand silo up top. The company logo. My printer ...ks so I couldn't print one even if I knew how. If anyone knows of a commercially available one would you please let me know?
To the left of the switcher is a depot. the tracks then run another 8' then curve to meet the main. This section will be trees. I'd like to hear any thoughts about any of this.

Attachments

• p1010273jpg.jpg
    p1010273jpg.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 392

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Wow - nice work, great plans!

I have one suggestion for the open, paved space between the red brick factory and the silos that I saw in a MR Planning (2002, I think).

Create a little drop between your pavement and the backdrop, so the the join between the two is not visible. The layout in the article had done this with a road, and it was extremely difficult to see where the modelled road left off, and the painted road on the backdrop began. To further hide the transition, maybe you'd add a chain link fence, or a berm or something at the back of the paved area. Just be sure that it will not cast a shadow on your backdrop.

Good luck with your "next section". BTW - those Hudsons crossing the river (and the river/falls too!) are amazing!

Andrew

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Andrew, thanks. It's funny you mentioned the "rise" strategy, I hadn't even considered it. I've used it before (for a narrow road on a previous layout) and it worked well, I guess I never considered it for other applications. Your comment about a fence started me thinking about a fence again, but fences are so often used I hesitate to do so. But for whatever reason, your post made me think of using a fence, one of those that have a large rolling gate, sometimes with a small shark for a guard. Of course, out of water, the shark isn't to intimidating. I meant shack of course. If I kept it 1/2" in front of the backdrop, I should be able to use bldgs from commercial backdrops cut out and applied to the backdrop. Could be interesting. Thanks.

Gary

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Gary - I think a small shark would be much more interesting!! ;)

I know fences may be over used, I guess it will depend on what the final use of the paved area is, and where you put the fence, berm, or other detail. What I mean is - will the shack be inside or outside the fence?

Maybe if you move it forward, it will appear to be the fence and gate for the buildings on the backdrop... Perhaps some parked cars or something "inside"?

Google images have a couple of pirate "clip art" pictures that might work well for you.

Just some more ramblings...

Andrew

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Looking good, Gary.

The land shark would be a cool idea. Remeber Chevy Chase and SNL?

Door bell sounds- Mrs. Rmil, ramilar, ramilarghhhh?
Women - Who is it?
Shark - Plumber....
Woman - Plumber? I don't need a stinking plumber.
Shark - Trick or treat..
Woman - It's not Halloween.
Shark - Telegram

Well you get the idea... LOL
I quess I have too much time on my hands today.

Marty

Lackawanna Jim

Nov 27, 2002
NJ
Visit site
Gary -

Looks great! I think Andrew is on to something here; also see MRR Planning about modeling industries off-layout (I think this was the most recent MRR Planning?). Thst space could be a fence and a guard shark (er, I mean Shack, heh heh...) for an industry that is in the background. Make it multi-purpose and you could spot just about any type of car there. Gondola, Flat, Box, Tank, etc...

Just a thought...

Jim;)

Lackawanna Jim

Nov 27, 2002
NJ
Visit site
Maybe an unused switchback with the track half buried in the asphalt. Where I lived and worked in San Francisco, there was street trackage everywhere, and it was the neatest trackage. Unfortunately, I never photographed it. Perhaps we can start a street trackage thread, like the recent on of rights-of-way.

:cool: Jim :cool:

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Originally posted by Gary H Pfeil
I'd like a Pirates head, profile or 3/4 view, in black and white. I need a decal of this to place on the left hand silo up top. The company logo.

Gary,
I do not know about any available decals, but how 'bout a pirate from a Seton Hall sports program, Pittsburg Pirates MLB progam, or a mag ad for Captain Morgan's Rum? Cut out the image, sand the back of the paper to thin it, use white glue to stick it on the building. Just a idea.
Marty

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Tampa Bay Buccaneers...
May still have some ol' pirate faces.
Also... There was a Hotel/Motel called The Buccaneer...
Got the Gaspirilla pirate invasion in Tampa...
might find some stuff those places.

Vote with the lil' hill idea, with the disappearing track.
Best to ya'!
:D

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks Marty and Ken, finding one in print is probably my best bet. Andrew, yes I was thinking the shark shack would be on the outside of the fence. Keeping the fence even 1/2" from the backdrop should enable me to glue suitable building prints on the backdrop. Guess I 'll be looking for pirate heads and suitable bldgs in the mags for a little while.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Well I figured I'd start with the structure which wraps around the end of the backdrop. I took some black foamcore and cut and bent it to the shape required, then cut out for the doors and windows. The windows are made from obsolete insulator material we use at work. I just scribed the panes in. The plan is to glue Holgate and Reynolds brick sheet on it and cut out the windows and doors then add some details. Hopefully the brick sheet will blend together well with the DPM sections it abuts with.

Attachments

• p1010284jpg.jpg
    p1010284jpg.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 134

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Another angle. When I looked at this photo, I thought it would be nice if the front of the building was polished black granite. The sides would still be red brick. What do you think?

Attachments

• p1010287jpg.jpg
    p1010287jpg.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 132