My newest scene - Abandoned steamer

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
You're about to see the transformation of an old Bachmann steamer into a classic scene of an abandoned rusted relic outside the engine house.

Start with one dilapidated steamer, add some rust,
dloco1.jpg

dloco2.jpg

Add more rust to suit taste.
dloco5.jpg

Bury track so only top half of rails show.
dloco4.jpg

Add some junk to the scene.
dloco7.jpg

Now for some grass and weeds. Notice that two of the domes and some other pieces have been removed.
dloco8.jpg

dloco8.jpg

Now throw in some bushes and some diffirent colors of grass.
dloco12.jpg

dloco11.jpg

dloco10.jpg

Not bad for half a days work.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Looks great!I'd probably use an old deisel of some sort,but the same idea.Maybe an F unit or old SD9,something like that.

Chris

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
goes to show the imagination of some of the members on here. there should be an old loco on everyones layout since nowadays ther everywhere there replacements are.--josh

darkcurves

Feb 5, 2007
Whoa, that's a cool scene. I would liike to implement something similar in my future layout, I hope you dont mind.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Looks like a good candidate for the local historical society. Maybe they can restore it to operational condition for a couple of million bucks.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Thanks for the compliments. The scene isn't finished yet. There's still a myriad of little details to add as well as a couple of guys looking her over with hopes of something more than a cosmetic restoration in mind. They don't know it yet but they have an uphill battle ahead of them, up Mt. Everest!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The scene looks great, Jeffrey. :thumb: :thumb: I was following your progress over on the Model Railroader site, and it was interesting to see you make changes as the suggestions came in. Very nice work!

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I love it. The overgrowth makes it look ancient. Burying the rails was a good idea. Maybe you could add semi-buried ties leading towards the other track, making it look like the engine was pushed there and them the track was pulled up.

Jan 15, 2007
Seattle, Washington
Jim Krause said:
Looks like a good candidate for the local historical society. Maybe they can restore it to operational condition for a couple of million bucks.

sign1

Nice job, great weathering, and great scenery!

Now just have a couple of the bars falling off the wheels and you're good to go!

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Jeffrey, that is one cool scene. Very well executed too. I really have no new comments to make, as everyone else ahead of me pretty well summed it up