My newest scene - Abandoned steamer

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by jeffrey-wimberl, Apr 22, 2007.

1. jeffrey-wimberl

jeffrey-wimberl Active Member

You're about to see the transformation of an old Bachmann steamer into a classic scene of an abandoned rusted relic outside the engine house.

Start with one dilapidated steamer, add some rust,

Add more rust to suit taste.

Bury track so only top half of rails show.

Add some junk to the scene.

Now for some grass and weeds. Notice that two of the domes and some other pieces have been removed.

Now throw in some bushes and some diffirent colors of grass.

Not bad for half a days work.
  2. CRed

CRed Member

Looks great!I'd probably use an old deisel of some sort,but the same idea.Maybe an F unit or old SD9,something like that.

3. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

That is to cool, very inspirational :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  4. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

goes to show the imagination of some of the members on here. there should be an old loco on everyones layout since nowadays ther everywhere there replacements are.--josh
  5. nhguy

nhguy Member

Looks good!!! Here's a thought. Why not run some pipes to it and to the building. That way you could say this was once used as a stationary boiler for the building. Put the pipes right into the steam dome.
  6. darkcurves

darkcurves Member

Whoa, that's a cool scene. I would liike to implement something similar in my future layout, I hope you dont mind.
  7. Jim Krause

Jim Krause Active Member

Looks like a good candidate for the local historical society. Maybe they can restore it to operational condition for a couple of million bucks.
  8. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

Jeff that looks Great. Wonderful Job.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  9. HOseeker

HOseeker New Member

Abandoned steamer

This seen looks great. This is a good way to use one of those unfixable trains that just sits in the Parts Box. Wonderful idea.

10. jeffrey-wimberl

Thanks for the compliments. The scene isn't finished yet. There's still a myriad of little details to add as well as a couple of guys looking her over with hopes of something more than a cosmetic restoration in mind. They don't know it yet but they have an uphill battle ahead of them, up Mt. Everest!
  11. jr switch

jr switch Member

Jeffrey---Looks really good! Very realistic--------
  12. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

That's Great!! I like the idea of a possible restoration too.. :D :D
  13. jeffrey-wimberl

Anyone have any additional suggestions?
  14. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

The scene looks great, Jeffrey. :thumb: :thumb: I was following your progress over on the Model Railroader site, and it was interesting to see you make changes as the suggestions came in. Very nice work!

15. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

I like that! The rust, vegetation, and the ladder make it look like its been there for decades. A neat idea you don't see everywhere!
  16. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I love it. The overgrowth makes it look ancient. Burying the rails was a good idea. Maybe you could add semi-buried ties leading towards the other track, making it look like the engine was pushed there and them the track was pulled up.
  17. jeffrey-wimberl

I thought about that but then decided that the ties had been taken up too.
  18. sign1

Nice job, great weathering, and great scenery!

Now just have a couple of the bars falling off the wheels and you're good to go!
  19. jeffrey-wimberl

Go to page 1 and look at the first pics. the end of one of the drives rods is on the ground.:)
  20. viperman

viperman Active Member

Jeffrey, that is one cool scene. Very well executed too. I really have no new comments to make, as everyone else ahead of me pretty well summed it up