Model Of The Month: "Inspired" Deep Space Exploration Vessel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dented Rick, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

2. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Ok, I "think" im done with the initial design. here is a component copy of my ship for anyone who has Google Sketchup to look at. if you take a look, all I ask is you give me feed back. what you think, positive, negative, whatever. any ideas, things I might have missed. you get the picture.

Plus, anyone who can skin well, and wants to take up the challenge.

were gonna need an unfolder too ;)

Just let me know

View attachment Inspired Deep Space Exploration Vessel - Copy.rar
  3. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Some ideas for naming this ship. Note: these are Gaelic words, as that is my Heritage.

Word/What the word means:

àghmhor / happy, prosperous, lucky
    gu astar / making distance, i.e. travelling
    ban-chéile / spouse, wife
    camhanaich / the dawn, twilight
    dùil / hope, expectation
    fèath / calm, tranquility
    iarraidh / request, seeking, searching
    iasgach / fishing, the act or art of fishing
    imeachd / walking, departing, journeying, going, proceeding
    maighdean / maid, maiden, virgin

This ship will have one of these words as its final name.......I just can't decide which one, as they all fit nicely. so let me know what you think, and which one you guys like. remember the name will be "DSEV - _______"

Seriously need help with this one. thanks

4. F131

F131 Member

Dam, you've made a lot of progress. Looking amazing.
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Is there some way of posting a phonetic pronunciation of the names? As one of my favorite names is Siobain, but of course, it is not pronounce "sigh-oh-bane". :)

Now that I see the final model, a different shuttle type idea comes into mind. I'll try and work on it tonight. Also, are these the final colors, and could you be a little more specific about the methodology with the unfolding? Thanks
  6. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Im not too sure about the phonetic pronunciation of the names, as im still learning that language. as for the final colors, these are not the final colors, the entire ship still needs to be skinned. but I was thinking along an egg-shell white for the main color with a red and blue thin strip down the side.

as far as the unfolding, not too sure, I know there is a program out there but i've never unfolded anything in google sketchup. and i REALLY want this unfolded so i can build a paper version :)
  7. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Thanks, not too bad for an amateur, huh. :)
  8. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Let me know what you can export to. Then, if I can import it, we can try a few parts and go from there.
  9. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

My only 2 options for exporting the file are:

COLLADA File (*.dae)
    Google Earth File (*kmz)
  10. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Ive started skinning the ship. Im trying to go for something that makes the ship look like its been in deep space for many years. A little rugged, and just this side of derelict. These men and women have been in space making repairs with whatever materials they can salvage. Driven by the need to discover and survive with the mission accomplished.

Exploration ship 143.jpg

I know, Im weird :)

Eventually, I WILL have the "New and Fresh out of spacedock" version
  11. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

She looks AMAZING!!! You said that you are an amateur, but i would have to say that doing something like this (on this scale) is not the work of an amateur. You have been doing an OUTSTAND job with this project.

I know that it is not listed, but how about the Gaelic word for "Discovery" as a name for her?

If not, then I vote for iarraidh / request, seeking, searching.
  12. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Thanks, but I have honestly been using sketchup and doing this ship for maybe 7 weeks. thank you though. Im glad you like it

Discovery = fionnachtain (Fee-Own-Nauk-Tane)

Still like it?

Im myself am kinda leaning towards Iarraidh. I like the meaning, and it has a lovely sound to the word itself :)

btw, i noticed our Standards kinda resemble each other. kinda ;)
  13. Gidster

Gidster New Member

Love the form factor! Very modular!
  14. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Last night I was drinking (a bit too much) and noone was around to stop me from messing around with the DSEV design. and this is what I came up with. Never fear, i still have the original, this was the "Skinned" copy. lol

dsev1.jpg dsev2.jpg dsev3.jpg dsev4.jpg
  15. MTK

MTK Active Member

Fpr spme reason this looks like it sould be in the Farscape-verse, it has some Andromeda-ish lines to it and seems to have a pseudo-organic fell to it.:thumb:
  16. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

I've been tinkering with an unfolding program. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated when I make a breakthrough :)
  17. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

Heads up everyone, I made a simple UFO in sketchup and have been experimenting with the unfold tool. I think im starting to get the hang of it. :)
  18. MTK

MTK Active Member

Congrats on working it out and congrats on MOM.:thumb:
  19. Dented Rick

Dented Rick Human

20. MTK

MTK Active Member

Model of the Month.... MOM!:mrgreen: