Making Snow

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Welcome to the-gauge! :wave:

Charlie posted a great winter scene in the December Photo Contest . He also gave us the recipe:

Glad you like the "snow"!
I built this tiny N scale layout several years ago, with the help of a couple of my daughters...we get it out, & set it in the living room every Christmas.
It's just a circle of Atlas 9 3/4" radius Snap Track, done up with some scenery...
I used Dave Frary's "recipe" for acrylic snow...
1 part Titanium White artists acrylic paint
1 part acrylic gel medium
1 part acrylic modeling paste

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I use an acrylic product called "No Fire Snow". It's found WalMart and in any good crafts store in the section where ceramic paints are found. It looks like paint with fine sand mixed in and builds up mounds real well. That combined with drifts made of cheap painter's caulk and plain white craft paint has given me a durable snow scene that touches up very easily when dinged by my 2 1/2 year old son.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I just received the Dec. issue of Model Rail and they have an article on making snow. Their problem was that every time they tried to fix it in position it either melted or discoloured.
Check photos of track in snow. If there is just a small amount (not over a couple of inches), the ties will be clear (but wet) and the ballast will have snow on it.