Making Snow

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by black_falls, Jan 7, 2004.

1. black_falls

black_falls New Member

Can anyone help I want to make my layout a winter / xmas scene
    with snow. Does anyone know how to make snow and not use the spray snow?
  2. Arlaghan

Arlaghan Member

3. fifer

fifer Active Member

Attached Files:

4. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Welcome to the-gauge! :wave:

Charlie posted a great winter scene in the December Photo Contest . He also gave us the recipe:

5. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Bit much to be wanting snow up there!!

BTW... just down the road here, Lismore, NSW. :wave:
  6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I use an acrylic product called "No Fire Snow". It's found WalMart and in any good crafts store in the section where ceramic paints are found. It looks like paint with fine sand mixed in and builds up mounds real well. That combined with drifts made of cheap painter's caulk and plain white craft paint has given me a durable snow scene that touches up very easily when dinged by my 2 1/2 year old son.
  7. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I have some powdered marble in a bottle. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer, but if you can find some, a little sprinkled on top of your snow gives it a bit of "sparkle."
  8. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

And if you have dogs on your layout, you'll need a yellow highlighter :D :D :D
  9. fifer

fifer Active Member

Maybe even a drunk Hunter or two!
  10. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I just received the Dec. issue of Model Rail and they have an article on making snow. Their problem was that every time they tried to fix it in position it either melted or discoloured.
    Check photos of track in snow. If there is just a small amount (not over a couple of inches), the ties will be clear (but wet) and the ballast will have snow on it.