Mainline Coaling Tower

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
I'm with Steve, I am glued to this project. Your coaling station is just the right size for the small layout that I am doing the benchwork for at present. I was looking for the copy of MR, but now understand it was in RM Craftsman magazine. Can you let me know what issue (month & year) it was in, please ?

Thanks... Bob

Iron Goat

Apr 9, 2004
Missouri
Visit site
Robin.... What a great looking Coaling Tower ! I was trying to find photos/plans of one to build, but since I am building a small layout, I needed to find one that would match-up with a smaller engine service area. I had already ordered several (kit form) coal chutes from Tichy Train Group, item # 8003 at $3.00 per pack. They come complete with pulleys, handgrabs, etc.

Robin, can you please share your tower's dimensions ? Have you estimated the "scale" tonnage rating on your tower ? Everything I have seen prior to your model looked too large for my "elfin empire", and your's looks just right.

Thanks again for allowing us to "look over your shoulder" on this one....

Bob / IronGoat :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: That's looking great Robin. I have a question, could you show how you make those steps look so good in N-Scale. I have tried in my scratch building and they never look right. Your looks fantastic. Thanks, your friend, Jim :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Bob, the tower is 78 feet tall . The actual coal container is 25 feet wide and 17 feet deep.
My model is 5 3/4 inches high,1 7/8ths inches wide and 1 1/4 inch deep.
No I haven't estimated coal tonnage but would be interested in knowing how to do so.
Jim, I cheat when I make stairs like this as the overall effect is what I am looking for and in N scale, you can get away with quite a lot. I agonized on how to make stairs properly but found it too frustrating. Now I just lay out two strips of cerealboard then glue cross pieces with a small gap between then as seen below.

Attachments

• m12.jpg
    m12.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 210

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
I cut the strips in two widths, 1/16 inch and 1/32 inch. Now thw stairs are basically ladders but when glued in place with posts and handrails they take on the look of stairs, almost as if the eye is tricked into seeing stairs where they are expected.
This can be seen in this closer view

Attachments

• m11.jpg
    m11.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 205

Matthyro

Dec 28, 2000
Dick. I did make a large coaling facility to go with the roundhouse but needed one or two like this one to serve points along the way. Many railroads used to have a coaltower about every 50 miles to keep those large beasts fed.
Fred, all of us model rairoaders use an illusion to make our models look as close to the real thing as possible. We N gaugers have a benefit in that we can leave off details that can't be seen. Not as easy for the HO folk and certainly not for the larger scales but then details can be a little easier to do in those sizes.

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: Robin, once again thanks so much for the tip. I built a stairs lastnight on the back of a scratch built building that I was not going to model and they came out great. I am sure they will be better as I go along. You Da Man!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Jim