Logging Photos - Wet Side WA/OR

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
I recently purchased these photos, they were mis-marked as Oklahoma photos. They are probably wet side WA/OR. I think many might enjoy the views. So here goes.

Attachments

• b-logsrs1.jpg
    b-logsrs1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 267

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
I'm not sure what your point is...

I purchased these photos, thinking they could be dry side Oregon, pine loggers. I knew that they were not Oklamoma loggers, once the photos arrived, and I could take a good look, I saw they where wet-side photos.

Somehow, I thought someone on this list would enjoy them, I guess I was wrong.

Sorry for the bandwidth waste

Jimmy "B"
Reno, NV

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
They are great pictures! To be enjoyed by many, and I'm sure Tyson included. Thanks for posting them LL. This is a misunderstanding between two good people. I think Tyson is just joking that the loggers in Graham County are behind the times. Gee, I was hoping there were more to come! He may also be implying they are very good quality, clean and clear, which they are.

I wonder what the overhead bucket thing is doing.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
It was a JOKE Jimmy, Jon got it you didn't. I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you. Those are excellent pics and great reference material for those working on logging layouts. Peace :) Jon now you got me wondering about the bucket also. I'm sure Jimmy or someone else here will be able to clue us in on this.

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
Jimmy .... what good photos am adding them to my reference photos Having the people in the picture allows one to scalelall of the surrounding ... was sorry when there were only so few
Thanks once again

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
It was a JOKE Jimmy, Jon got it you didn't. I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you. Those are excellent pics and great reference material for those working on logging layouts. Peace :) Jon now you got me wondering about the bucket also. I'm sure Jimmy or someone else here will be able to clue us in on this.

No, problem. I got the joking. I just thought they might stimulate some discussion, which they didn't. So I jumped the gun, Tyson it was my problem not yours.

I'm not an expert but this is what I think: The bucket hanging in the air is a donkey powered drag line hauling dirt to above the ballast car. The dirt is dropped over the ramp which is set up on the ballast car and drops unto a flat car. The dirt is shoveled off to build up sholders of the grade or used for other purposes.

This view would make a wonderful modeling subject I would think. I would not be surprised to find out that the ballast cars were built by Seattle Car & Foundry.

Jimmy "B"
Reno, NV

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Do you have any more of those photos please with what locos were used etc. I like to see shays/climax and heislers in action. :D

Shamus

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
All the history we get fed about the logging camps (which is not much any more, especially in public schools) say that the camps worked mostly in the winter, manned by farmers who were on their "off-season". So my observations are:

1) This is not the winter, and
2) There seem to be a lot of women around, especially in the shots of the "roofless" donkey.

Can anyone shed any light on these points? My guess, at least on the first one, is that with the advent of donkey power, it wasn't necessary to wait for winter, when it is easier to drag logs through the woods by horse.

Andrew

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
The small file size doesn't do these photos justice. If there is an interest, I can post a larger file of these on my web server and post the address once done. They'd be 1000 pixels wide by whatever high and somewhere around 200 KB

I'd estimate the date of these photos sometime during the early to mid teens. At this landing they are ground yarding the logs with the yarder. Notice the bevel cut on the logs at the landing, this is done when ground skidding.

The skeleton log car has foot boards which was a hot issue during 1912, 1913 and 1914.

Jimmy "B"
Reno, NV

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by lassenlogger
The small file size doesn't do these photos justice. If there is an interest, I can post a larger file of these on my web server and post the address once done. They'd be 1000 pixels wide by whatever high and somewhere around 200 KB

I'd estimate the date of these photos sometime during the early to mid teens. At this landing they are ground yarding the logs with the yarder. Notice the bevel cut on the logs at the landing, this is done when ground skidding.

The skeleton log car has foot boards which was a hot issue during 1912, 1913 and 1914.

Jimmy "B"
Reno, NV

Hell yes, I for one would like to see larger photographs, so please do add them to your website and post a link.
Thanks
Shamus