Kato AC4400's

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
folks

the bad news :
there's no actual digitrax decoder which fits the ac4400 without doing the same modifications to the shell as on the c44.

the good news :
digitrax is working on a new decoder to fit the ac4400 without modifications ! just give these guys a few weeks.

70Runner

engineshop said:
Finally I finished my SP AC4400. Now it is time for Kato to announce the second run of AC4400 in SP colors.
sp146side.gif

Roland
www.engineshop.org

Roland, Hey thats funny that we have used the same road #! I even thought about doing mine with the SP round herald on the inverter box! :thumb:
adx.sized.jpg

engineshop

Apr 29, 2003
San Rafael, CA USA
www.engineshop.org
My herald came from the Microscale sheet 60-745 Southern Pacific Gunderson Double Stack. I had the decal sheet for over two years just for that purpose. I don't know how long Southern Pacific tolarated that herald some employee put on right around the time UP bought SP, but on my layout it will run for ever.

cpr_boy

Jul 18, 2004
Edmonton, AB. CA
I bought one yesterday

I bought one yesterday and I'm really impressed with it. It ran so smooth and I couldn't believe how quiet it was. I can't wait for payday when I can get another one. I'm sure you'll be pleased when they arrive!

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
just got the first 4 of my ac4400 (didn't know i had some on order at pwrs). so there are still 50 to come...

well, what can i say ? my custom painted c44 definitely look better. i assume kato once more screwed the paint job by using the wrong red. cp rail ac4400 have lots of warning stickers on both sides of the unit. unfortunately the kato models lack these stickers completely. also these new units are extremely sensitive to any track imperfections. all four units derailed at two spots on my layout. none of my other 250 locos had these problems. i had to tear down parts of the mountain because one of the derailment spots is inside a tunnel. this sucks big time.
another problem i encounter are the rather poor power pickup (even worse than a sd90). i have no clue yet why these locos stall on freshly cleaned track. i might to take them apart and check for any misalignment in the power pickup.

i have to admit there are some goodies as well. the porch mounted ditch light are beautiful as is the rest of the shell. except probably for the shiny red handrails. truck and shell details are excellent. i did not yet add the lighted numberboards as i first have to renumber these units.

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
sschaer said:
the good news :
digitrax is working on a new decoder to fit the ac4400 without modifications ! just give these guys a few weeks.

Has anyone heard of Digitrax releasing a new decoder for the ac4400 yet? I was wondering if they had already and they just didnt mention that the AC4400 was compatable now..