I hate daylight savings time.

F

Fred_M

I DO I DO I DO. Why do we still have to go to the effort to change our clocks twice a year? And don't give me an excuse about farmers, most I know sleep in anyway. So is the only reason we do it is so THEY can remind us to change the batteries in our smoke detector and cause us to be to work on time one day a year (and really late tomprrow)? FRED

F

Fred_M

Maybe, but if a presidential canadate ran on repealing it heor even she would get my vote. I't an old law that needs repealed. Anyone give me a reason we still need it. I'm open minded, or so I tell myself. :D And cid, im not old, I just grumpy. FRED

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by dash10
I't an old law that needs repealed. Anyone give me a reason we still need it. I'm open minded, or so I tell myself. :D And cid, im not old, I just grumpy. FRED

Reason 1. Because I like it.
Reason 2. It really doesn't matter because of reason #1

And I'm both old and grumpy! :D :D

George

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I always said that if they want me to start work at 8 instead of 9 they should just tell me to do it, and not lie to me about what time it is.
(Most of the farmers are against it. The province with most of its voters farmers doesn't have it. The railways (in Canada) went for years without changing.)
But it will probably be abolished at the same time as that other temporary wartime measure, income tax.

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by Pitchwife
It means that if you have a garden railroad that you get to play with it an extra hour all summer. :D :D :D
Contrary to popular belief the sun still shines the same total numbers of hours a day without DLST.:D FRED

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by dash10
I DO I DO I DO. Why do we still have to go to the effort to change our clocks twice a year? And don't give me an excuse about farmers, most I know sleep in anyway. So is the only reason we do it is so THEY can remind us to change the batteries in our smoke detector and cause us to be to work on time one day a year (and really late tomprrow)? FRED
Hey Fred, there is a way around that. Move here to Arizona. We don't change.:sleeping: :sleeping:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Well if you can't get to Arizona you could move to Saskatchwan as farmers there refused to have daylight saving as they say, we know when to go to bed and when to get up. I just wish the rest of the Canadian provinces would go along with that wise thinking. I think the whole purpose behing DLST is to remind us to change batteries in our smoke alarms.

CarlFidy

Jun 17, 2002
Owasso, OK
Visit site
Sorry dash10....

I've gotta agree with Pitchwife. I've been looking forward to DLST, because it gives me and extra hour of railfan time when I run my weekly magazine route on Thursdays. Don't tell me to just start earlier, I'm at my first stop when they open.

F

Fred_M

So I can move to Saskatchwan, Arizona, or Indiana. Freeze, fry, or be unemployed.:D Gee, let me think about it...

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by Pitchwife

DST only works if you have a 9 t 5 job. It also screws you up if you happen to have a favorite TV program. :D :D
Not really. Us "retired" folk have to live by other people's schedule. Fortunately, we here have decided to exempt ourselves from this mass confusion. There was one year back in the 60's that the government forced all states to go in DLST and required it to be changed state by state. Unfortunately, our legislators got back late from their fact finding trips to Hawaii that year so we were stuck with the sun not going down until around 10 PM and it was still well over 100 degrees at midnight. I think that was the year most drive-in theaters sold out to real estate developers.:cry: :cry:

Yeah, we not only have to check our smoke detector batteries, but we have to reprogram all the cable and satellite programs we have set to record. Yep, as of yesterday they all appear an hour eariler for us.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

F

Fred_M

So I get over to my kids to pick up the grandchildern for the day, and guess what, they are all still in bed asleep. I know two people who will be late today.:D :D :D So now I have to rush and get two sleepy kids up and one ready for school. The time changed, that was this weekend, I didn't hear anything about it dad? Did you change your smoke detector batteries son? Huh? (Looking at smoke detector that has it's original batteries in it 5 years later). "No, I need to do that tonite". (I roll my eyes, son gets mad and stomps out door). FRED

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
What's All The Fuss ??

I live right on the border of Eastern Time and Central Time and half the work I do is in the Central Time Zone and the other half is in the Eastern Time Zone and when I'm on the radio I go by Coordinated Universal Time so what the heck!:eek: ...I just live on Daylight Time all year round:eek: :D :D :D and let the world wait on me!!!:D :D :D

Have trouble though changing the battery in the smoke detector though:eek: ......can't seem to get a 9 volt battery to fit in my nose!!!:D :D :D :D :p

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Re: What's All The Fuss ??

Originally posted by Vic
...Have trouble though changing the battery in the smoke detector though:eek: ......can't seem to get a 9 volt battery to fit in my nose!!!:D :D :D :D :p
Vic,

Fear not, there is a way around that. Having spent 35 years in life safety and security, I know there is a receptical somewhere on you that you can plug in an AC adaptor.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
I have a beautiful mechanical clock that is about two hundred years old. It chimes every 15 minutes and counts off the hours, on the hour. When setting the time, If you do not allow the chimes to sound, it screws up the mechanicals something fierce. Also, you can not set the time back, so when we "Fall back" I have to go forward twelve hours, with pauses for chimes every fifteen minutes. Takes a bit over an hour. setting it forward is less of a hassle but still annoying.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by YakkoWarner
I have a beautiful mechanical clock that is about two hundred years old. It chimes every 15 minutes and counts off the hours, on the hour. When setting the time, If you do not allow the chimes to sound, it screws up the mechanicals something fierce. Also, you can not set the time back, so when we "Fall back" I have to go forward twelve hours, with pauses for chimes every fifteen minutes. Takes a bit over an hour. setting it forward is less of a hassle but still annoying.

My Father had a mantle clock the same way. he would just stop it (let it run down) and let it sit for an hour & it would be "Turned Back"... Turning it forward an hour was really bad if you didnt wait for the chimes...