I hate daylight savings time.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I have a granfather clock that has to be treated like this too. What a pain. Not too bad now in the spring but in the fall I stop it then forget I have done that

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by Matthyro
I have a granfather clock that has to be treated like this too. What a pain. Not too bad now in the spring but in the fall I stop it then forget I have done that

Yup - us too :) :)

We used to set a timer for an hour - to remind us to restart the big clock :) Any alarm clock or "kitchen timer" will do :D :D :D

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
When you are at higher latitudes (Glasgow is 56 degrees north but that is only about 1/4 of the way up scotland) you do actually need daylight saving.

What we don't really notice is; although the days are getting longer in spring the time the sun rises in the morning is still getting later.

A few years ago an MP (Member of Parliment) in London suggested that the UK changed it's time zine so it was the same as the rest of mainland Europes'. Spain is at the same longditude and had done this successfully (so it is 1 hour out from it's 'proper' time zone) but it is much further south so there is less variation on the length of the day over the course of a year.

When that happened the northern islands of Skye and the Outer Hebridies (which are on the west edge of the time zone anyway so it would be even more affected by this change) threatened to declare independance and move back to the correct time zone.

The idea was lost in amongst all the other stupid ideas our illustious leaders come up with.

Is anyone in Alaska going to join into this discussion?

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Re: Re: Re: I hate daylight savings time.

Originally posted by jon-monon

We don't change no stinkin' clocks here at Cobblers Knob neither! And we ain't a gunno neither!
They don't in Hawaii either. Hmm, where would I choose to live if I didn't want to change clocks twice a year, parts of Indiana, Arizona or Hawaii? Hey, two out of three ain't bad....:wave: :p:wave: :p

jawatkins

Aug 21, 2003
Allen, TX
Visit site
I'm not so crazy about DST either. Whenver DST time hits, our dinner rushes start about an hour later, which means people are coming in until just about closing. Of course, you can't go anywhere until they're finished eating and the kitchen finishes cleaning for the night. It means we get out of here later during the summer than in the winter. Of course, don't want to complain too much - at least we have people coming in......beats the alternative....

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Re: Re: What's All The Fuss ??

Originally posted by ezdays

Vic,

Fear not, there is a way around that. Having spent 35 years in life safety and security, I know there is a receptical somewhere on you that you can plug in an AC adaptor.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ROFLMAO!!!!! :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I kind of like DST. Suddenly it's light at 7pm and really feels like summer's coming. After a nasty winter like the last one, I appreciate ANY spring-like touches!! And then in the fall you gain an hour - whoohoo! Can't argue with that. It's all good.

What I'd like to change, if I were emperor or whatever you have to be, is the order of the months. Christmas comes too early, both from a shopping point of view and more importantly from the likeliehood of snow. I want a guaranteed "white Christmas" so here's my plan. After November, we have February. Now, instead of being all bummed out during Feb. we're all still looking forward to Christmas and using those extra shopping days wisely. Then December (where Jan would be) so there's sure to be snow. Then Jan and it's the new year. Then March and wow! it's already spring!!!

Thank-you, and if anyone would like to join my campaign to rule the world, just say the word!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Val

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Whats time? Nothing really..That is something Corporate America has driven into our minds at work..Now we are slaves to the clock at work and sadly at home as well.Little catch phases like "I don't have the time to do-fill the blank,then is no time(from a older TV commercial) and my favorite excuse from many modelers I don't have the time to this or that..I think sure you do..All you need to do is stop being a slave to the clock and that old time stealer TV..
Folks life is short..Take time to enjoy the things you like to do don't focus so much on time least your life passes you by and you never get to do what you wanted to do.I have heard it said many times when I retire I am going to do this or that,build my "dream" layout and etc..Now what ever makes them think think will live to retirement? Look I retire in just a little over 3 years and 8 months..IF I live.
So the bottom line is take the time you need to enjoy life,do the things you like to do and never forget to stop and smell the roses along the way.Let Corporate America worry about time.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Re: Re: Re: What's All The Fuss ??

Originally posted by spitfire

ROFLMAO!!!!! :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I kind of like DST. Suddenly it's light at 7pm and really feels like summer's coming. After a nasty winter like the last one, I appreciate ANY spring-like touches!! And then in the fall you gain an hour - whoohoo! Can't argue with that. It's all good.

What I'd like to change, if I were emperor or whatever you have to be, is the order of the months. Christmas comes too early, both from a shopping point of view and more importantly from the likeliehood of snow. I want a guaranteed "white Christmas" so here's my plan. After November, we have February. Now, instead of being all bummed out during Feb. we're all still looking forward to Christmas and using those extra shopping days wisely. Then December (where Jan would be) so there's sure to be snow. Then Jan and it's the new year. Then March and wow! it's already spring!!!

Thank-you, and if anyone would like to join my campaign to rule the world, just say the word!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Val

LOL I'm with ya!!!! Only thing I see wrong with it is - Valntine's day comes a month before X-Mas - someone's gonna get cheated LOL

F

Fred_M

Well, if we can move Thanksgiving in the USA, I guess you Canadians can move Christmas. FRED

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by jon-monon
But if you don't have to change your clocks twice a year, and you don't have winter/bad weather, what do you complain about all year?
Well, in the winter we complain about our winter visitors, or "snowbirds" as we like to call them. Seems like they take up all the available space, and don't pay attention to such things as white line in the street and don't know the difference between red and green lights. :rolleyes: In the summer, we complain when we open our electric bill from all the A/C we use, and some of us complain when they go from their A/C'd car to an A/C's shopping mall and have to use the parking lot to get there. Yeah, you try walking 100 feet in 115 degree sunshine and see how long you go before you complain too.:cool: :cool:

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I'm with you Val. I worked in retail for many years and began to dislike Christmas as it is far too commercial and I used to get sooo beat that I didn't enjoy what Christmas is supposed to be about. I would like to see a ban on stores advertising for Christmas until a week before then I may enjoy Christmas music too.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Re: Re: What's All The Fuss ??

Originally posted by ezdays

Vic,

Fear not, there is a way around that. Having spent 35 years in life safety and security, I know there is a receptical somewhere on you that you can plug in an AC adaptor.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

ROFLMAO!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Tried it but the other "receptacles" require 440 Volt 3 Phase current!!!:eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Re: Re: Re: What's All The Fuss ??

Originally posted by Vic

ROFLMAO!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D

Tried it but the other "receptacles" require 440 Volt 3 Phase current!!!:eek: :D :D :D :D :D :D
Can't help you then. I think you might have to go back to the factory for updating.:eek: :eek: I read somwhere on the Internet that there was some sort of recall so the update may be still under warranty.:D :D :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com

Sounds like you need to move closer to the nearest equator, Val :D :D :D We didn't change our clocks and it's still light at 7 PM here :D:D:D

Folks life is short..Take time to enjoy the things you like to do don't focus so much on time least your life passes you by and you never get to do what you wanted to do.I have heard it said many times when I retire I am going to do this or that,build my "dream" layout and etc..

I agree Larry, with your words of wisdom! And I don't even let time interfere with my fun derived from the hobby. On my "modeling nights" I often accomplish little or nothing, because I don't push myself for a deadline, I just try to enjoy myself. I have missed many of the photo contests, and some opportunities to model something to be published (not for it's greatness, anyone could enter), but I am enjoying it more now that I focus on fun. I just don't work on what I don't feel like doing, and I don't force myself to meet a deadline. My LPBs don't understand time, and neither should I in 1:87 land. It's my escape.

Well, in the winter we complain about our winter visitors, or "snowbirds" as we like to call them. Seems like they take up all the available space, and don't pay attention to such things as white line in the street and don't know the difference between red and green lights. In the summer, we complain when we open our electric bill from all the A/C we use, and some of us complain when they go from their A/C'd car to an A/C's shopping mall and have to use the parking lot to get there. Yeah, you try walking 100 feet in 115 degree sunshine and see how long you go before you complain too.

Geeze Don, I had no idea you had it so rough out there! :D :D :D BTW: I lived 5 years in the Philippines, 3 or 4 without AC. In my experiance, you can get used to warm weather a lot faster than cold. Here you can't get used to anything, cuz it just changes. Maybe paying too much attention to hte lights and lines is a little too much like paying too much attnetion to time :D :D :D