HOn3 2-8-2

Originally posted by Walt Gillespie
Hey Casey, seeing your fired up to build another loco, remember I have that 2 truck HOn3 Shay roundhouse kit here you could put together. :D

Should I ship it out?:p If so, how soon can I expect it back?:confused:

Didn't you once estimate that it would be about 25 years before you had a layout going? I think you could expect me to have that Shay assembled and back to you by then. :D :D ;)

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Steve,
Waiting on parts for the air brush compressor, before painting the 2-8-2. Also currently have a Revell "Harbour Tug Boat" kit (1:108) that I'm backdating,and rebuilding in 1:87.1. The tug will become the tow boat for a barge/crane, kitbashed from an Athearn 200 ton crane. I'll post pics of the tug just prior to priming. The "changes, and additions" can be clearly seen that way.
Pete

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
All the finishing work is done, painted,lettered,weathered, and oversprayed with dullcoat. This one's ready for Trainfest. The only unanswered question is how she'll pull through the tight curves.
I'll find that out this weekend.

Attachments

• shsd282.jpg
    shsd282.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 97

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Pete, Now that looks mighty fine!!!!:) Excellent!!...The lowering really gives those locos an all together different look. Shouldn't be any problems with the curves. Looks like there's plenty of swing where it needs to be. Lemme know how she does. Great job!!!:)

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Beautifully done Pete, a work of art. There's no way I would have guessed it started life as an MDC kit.
As Vic says, the lowering makes it look like a real hauler.
One question..... which coupler is fitted on the front?
I could ask a multitude of questions but there is no way I could tackle such a conversion.
Well done sir.

Errol

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Errol,
Same as the others I've done. Kadee narrow gauge couplers, modified by cutting most of the rear portion of the coupler and draft gear box off, to clear the pilot truck. I didn't intend on using magnetic uncoupling, so the loss of the centering spring is no major deal. I'll just manually align the coupler when switching.
Are you still going the narrow gauge route??
Pete

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Thanks Pete,
I thought about removing the uncoupling pin on a coupler but the pins on rolling stock fowl on the loco pilot. To mount the loco coupler further from the pilot causes problems trying to couple "on the curve" !! :mad: As most short line narrow gauge spurs are curved track it's like being caught between a rock and a hard place trying to decide what to settle for. Fact is, it's this "trying to see future problems" that has so far stopped me building in HOn3.
Another minor problem is, I bought the MDC HOn3 shay and got it to run smoothe as velvet.... but ... it's actually an HO kit with HOn3 trucks!!! It's coupler box is way too high and sitting in front of scale narrow-gauge cars it looks way too big to be realistic. (does anyone have a use for this oversized (for HOn3) Shay??)

As I have a fair amount of HOn3 stuff (and I'm really madly in love with backwoods HOn3) I've decided to go with dioramas in the first instance. Heavens knows when the first one will materialise.
All I have is the MDC 2-8-0 inside frame loco as motive power that looks good. The other two locos are brass (one owned by my better half) and I haven't the courage to paint them (let alone letter them).

The quality of your bashing and Samus's backwoods buildings just makes me drool all the more.
Someday ..... someday ... Oh what the heck, back to the think tank. :confused: :confused: :eek:

Errol

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hey Errol, Did 'ya know that Kadee N Scale couplers will mate up and work just fine with the regular Kadee Hon3 Couplers. Since the pin is much shorter I'm wondering if that might be the answer to the "fouling" problem?

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Pete, the finished loco looks brilliant, and knowing you, she will pull through the curves Nooooo bother.
Shamus

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
OK, the loco ran all day Saturday, and Sunday, at Trainfest. Had a problem with the pilot wheels shorting out on the screw used to mount the front coupler, but fixed that with a file. It doesn't pull as well as the 2-4-4-2, but then, doesn't have the weight, so is all right.
Pete