HOn3 2-8-2

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
My local hobby shop has a discount card program, and I realized there was enough on the card to get an MDC 2-8-0 (inside frame, narrow gauge) kit. It is now a 2-8-2. I'm showing this unpainted, so you can see some of the detail additions.
The frame needed some serious milling to get rid of the original firebox, lower the boiler, and also lower the motor mount to fit the new boiler location.

Attachments

• 2-8-2a.jpg
    2-8-2a.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 408

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
here's the second shot. It's a high angle shot so you can see the inside of the tender coal box. This way I can run full, or almost empty.

Attachments

• 2-8-2b.jpg
    2-8-2b.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 348

rockislandmike

Sweet deal sumpter, and looking great!!!!!!

<< even though I model 1980 and hence almost exclusively diesel, I still do love those steamers!!! >>

C

Catt

Sweet!, but the wrong scale Should be 0n30. :D :D :D

By the way sir,nice camera work too.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Catt,
You present a very tempting thought, an On30 2-8-2,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
But an On30 T-boiler shay, now that's tempting!
Pete

Gary Pfeil

Pete, That looks great! I like the idea of a coal bin being low, I do that on several of my locos, but as I add sound I'm having to "fill em up". Looking forward to seeing it painted.

Gary

Vic

Hi Pete, Now that really looks nice!!!:) :) It sorta reminds me of a SP narrow gauge loco. They had that long low boiler look to them. I've often wondered why MDC has never corrected that boiler height. Its too high even for D&RGW but I've never bothered to change it on the MDC kits I've built. Just lazy I guess:D :D

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Pete, that is a brilliant convert friend, and extra nice photo's to go with it.
Bravo
Thats the kind of loco I am looking to get hold of in HO, do they do it?
Shamus

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Shamus,
I went to Roundhouse's page( thanks Catt ), and the #480 undecorated "old time"2-8-0, is standard gauge, and has the same boiler as the narrow gauge loco I started with. Converting this to a 2-8-2 might not be as difficult as the narrow gauge loco was.
Pete

Vic

Request For Pete

Good Morning Pete, Just wondering if when you get to the "frame work" on the loco could you possibly snap a few photos and post them on this thread? I'd like see how you go about it and I'm sure that some others would be very interested too. I've got one of the same kits over in the "stash" and you've got me fired up about building it. Thanks!!!!

Walt Gillespie

Hey Casey, seeing your fired up to build another loco, remember I have that 2 truck HOn3 Shay roundhouse kit here you could put together. :D

Should I ship it out?:p If so, how soon can I expect it back?:confused:

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Vic, and Casey,
The "frame work" is already done, and I didn't shoot a step by step. Here's a shot of the frame, I milled off the old firebox, which results in the frame continuing straight back. In the area of the motor mount, I had to mill down the frame to the same thickness as right behind the cylinders. I also had to relocate the worm gear, and grind out the boiler to clear the worm gear's new location.

Attachments

• mikefrm.jpg
    mikefrm.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 156

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Here's a shot of the underside of the boiler, showing a little of the new firebox, and ashpan detail added with Evergreen Styrene. The area just in front of the motor cavity had to be ground out to clear the mounting screw for the crosshead guide bracket. Back on the frame pic, you can see where I had to file down the crosshead guide bracket for boiler clearance.