Good Idea and Expand on it???

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I think the method used to make up the logo is easy. Let those folks who want to design a logo and the others vote on it. I'm graphically challenged, so I don't knopw that I would have an idea worth submitting, but I'm not giving up yet either. I have never experienced devine intervention, but who knows, maybe now is the time:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I agree with those who understand the value of getting the name of the site in front of the rest of the modeling public and I think the way I like best to do that part of the puzzle is that when we have an agreed upon logo/decal/? we/you/someone approaches one of the manufacturers about building a "club car" for us. We then take it through the normal channels to gain the necessary exposure to sell as many as possible. I mentioned before that the only restriction I see on that might be that members here get first shot at buying as many as they want before they are offered to the general public.

We are still missing one important part of this puzzle, approval, as needed, from the Board of Directors of the Gauge. Is anyone who has taken part in this conversation a member of that august body that can serve as a spokesman for us?

So, as I see it, get Gauge approval for all this; design a decal/logo, vote on items submitted; I liked the idea of deciding on a specific industry, like a brewery or whatever, maybe we can vote on that too; we build our "building" using the logo (time limit to be established) ; someone looks into development of a "club car" using the winning logo.....................???????????????

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
How about "Gauge Enterprises, LLC". That way we can own as many and as varied businesses as we choose. There might be the Gauge Enterprises Coal Mine and the brewery and the furniture factory.................................. oh, and surely we'll want to own a logging company or two
:D :D :D

Bob

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
Bob Collins has captured the best (imho) way to go. Come up with a general name, Decide on a logo, then each member model whatever they want using the logo and name. No contest, just a way for us to say "check out the guage."

Gauge Enterprises, LLC
Personal Assistant Division.
"We mind your buisness
so you don't have to."

In fact, why bother with a specific logo? Just a name and watch us get creative! And finally, as long as we don't use "The Guage" name and logo for a profit making venture, there can be no objection from the board owners.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Thanks Yakko.

I guess the thing I liked about the logo/decal is identity for what people are doing. If it were adopted in different sizes it has all sorts of possibiitues from rolling to every kind of structure. I was already thinking about a grain elevator kit I still have in the box where I could attach the decal and identify the structure as:

Gauge Enterprises LLC
Feed and Seed Division

Would someone like to taske a shot at the decal now and see where it takes us? I would just suggest that it remain fairly simple as I'm reasonably certain there will be some who will want to duplicate it without using a decal and we don't want it to be impossible to do so.

Bob

C

Catt

Here's 5 minutes of really really really hard work designing two signs for your concideration.:D

gauge1.gif

gauge2.gif

Personally I would like us to pick one business and model that on all our layouts our own way.

Yes Rory ,you can get decal paper for inkjet printers.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
CATT;

I thought that was the original idea, but we seem to be walking through a number of different possibilites and I hope that all who have thoughts will express them here so we can do what the majority wants to participate in.

Personally I like the idea of doing type of thing the same for all layouts and then as a SEPARATE action see about developing a "club car" tht we also can incorporate as a part of our individual layouts, if possible. How we do that with different scales I really don't understand. I somehow doubt that we are going to talk one of the producers into making a car in O, HO, N, S, G, HOn3, etc. so the car doesn't seem to have the possibilities that a building might have for us.

Although I like was CATT has done, I hope we can figure out a logp/decal that is distinctive, in color, design, etc.

Bob

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi:
Boy,... I don't get on The Gauge for a couple of days, and when i return it turns out y'all have gone into the freight car business! Love the idea for a theme around which we can all develope our own unique contribution. Sounds like a good way to expose one another to many different ways to respond to a single idea.

Here's my $0.02.

1. I like the sign idea, but it would be a more open ended project if we do not develop the "historic background" to any great degree, if at all. Just let the name of the object be the starting point. This way none of us will be bound by time or place. The sign can be on rolling stock or a building or the rump of a mule. Some one you guys have a fairly specialized layout and we want everyone to be able to participate. Also, a name with multiple meanings would be good.
2. The time frame needs to be long enough for all of us to work it into our schedules. Some of us have jobs. I like the 4-8 month range. That would give us time to develope the object without undue haste and then give everyone time to let the creative juices ferment and still have time to complete the object on time. I'm worried that if i was given a year i'd wait till November.
3. If you want to do a car, what scale will it be? I model in "S". Maybe a decal set, done in all gauges and a prototypical color scheme we can all use at home, is a better way to go. Then we can make our own cars. No group cost either.
4. I REALLY liked the "Gauge Global Enterprises" name but i would make one change. This might not work for the overseas guys or the pure steamers. I'd make it "Gauge Global One". Sounds like a conglomerate and it abbreviates as "GG1". Just love that engine and it comes in all scales and many colors.
5. I guess that was really $0.05.

Regards,
Ted

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Ted,

Maybe everyone is tired. I don't know about the rest of you, but I just laid down in bed and went unconscious for nearly an hour! Where'd THAT come from?! Anyway, I'm awake now! :)

Mike,

I don't remember a time when there WASN'T an Internet. Well, not really. Actually, I don't want to think of a time before the Internet! :)

I like the logo. If there was only a way to print it onto a decal...

-Rory

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Morning everyone:
It's another gorgeous day in SC. 8:27am, the birds are singing, the coffee's hot and only my son is up so i can get on the internet!

R.I.M. - like the logo. I prefer the one with "Acme" in the title. Can see a whole advertising campaign with the roadrunner and cayote in it since my stuff is centered in the 1950 time frame. I like diesels and steamers. How about right justifying both words? Like the strong statment that makes and the longer word at bottom kinda anchors the image. I see billboards, buildings, freight cars, wait..... is that a brandiron on the rump of that mule?!?

Wonderful idea for an activity Bob. Thanks for bringing it up. Shamus, have you named your lumber company yet?

Regards,
Ted

C

Catt

Well, I still prefer the idea of a single rail oriented business,and that is what shall appear on the Grande Valley.:D :D

Anybody up for picking a single business theme and modeling it each in our own way???