Good Idea and Expand on it???

YakkoWarner

Mar 10, 2001
Orange County, NC.
www.the-gauge.com
I think a communication company is a great Idea, newspapers, telegraphs, telephones, radio, television, internet, all communications companies.

A brewery is a nice idea, but it would be relegated to a delivery truck or billboard on my layout.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I'm sticking with my newspaper idea.
Here's a sign I made...sorry, I don't have the software to do all that cool graphic stuff that some of you are posting...
(BTW...for the est. date, I just shaved 100 yrs off the current one)

Attachments

• mvc-013f.jpg
    mvc-013f.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 79

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
I think what I am seeing is something we discussed on this thread early on..... the development of a conglomerate:)

It appears that as a part of our global empire we will have all sorts of communciations. Right now I'm looking into a grain elevator and a fleet of hoppers as one possibility.

If this is how we decide to do it then I would only wonder how we tie it all together? Obviously the word Gauge is part of it, but do we want to be able to identify our empire holding by using specific colors each time we display the logo, or perhaps a particular font? I don't know. Just thinking out load.

I'll leave it all in all of your capable handswhile I go seek out some sun in a warm place. Heading off to Mexico in the morning for a week at Ixtapa.

Bob

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
If the number of replies on this thread is any indication, there is a great deal of interest in this. I did a quick check and the only threads that were "hotter" were three that involved making up a story in a serial fashion (and we're rapidly closing in on third place)!
Now if we could only come to some sort of consensus....

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
I really like the newspaper idea. But if we wanted to make a conglomerate, then maybe The Gauge newspaper could be part of The Gauge Syndicate, a subsidiary of Gauge Industries, or something like that...

-Rory

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
biilk;

I guess what I am seeing that we need in the way of consensus is to do it:)

I probabl;y have more space to work with than many (HO on 10" X 21') and it may provide me with a number of options not wanted in a smaller space. I have in mind at one corner of my layout putting in "Gaugeville" I think I can do it in such a way that it won't overpower the rest of my layout. In Gaugeville we will find the previously mentioned grain elevator (Gaugeville Farmer's Coop) where they haul the barley and hops for the brewery. Probably have to have the Gaugeville National Bank, etc.

As soon as I know that we have decided to or not to go with a standand color and font I will contact a graphic design friend here in town to see what we might do about making decals of various sizes to fit into Gaugeville and onto our rolling stock.

This whole thread has also finally produced the hint of a thought as to what I want to name my railroad. What do you think about calling it "The Bristle Ridge and Western"? Does anyone know of a similarly named railroad that I might get into trouble over the name?

Have fun:D

Bob

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Rory,
I think you've touched on something that I've been thinking about...that the era you model has a lot of bearing on the kinds of business & industry that exist in your particular setting. For instance, in my 50's/60's era, a local newspaper would have been just that...owned by a local family who would have been part of the community for generations.
The flip side of this is the present day & age, when that same newspaper is now owned by a huge conglomerate, based in another city, & owning 100 other newspapers, & probably having holdings in other communication co.'s, transportaion, energy, with websites, & global interests, & on & on.
Therefore, unless we're all modeling the same time period, it would be difficult for all of us to be constrained to a single industry, or logo, & have everything remain credible.
And so I think it would be really interesting to see how all the members here could include "The Gauge" into their modeling/layouts, etc...
I think it would be a point of interest for our "in person" visitors, & of course, a great point of interest to share with each other on this site!
Oh, & Bob...I guess you'll be giving a lot of thought to this matter while you're sitting around in the shade of the hacienda, with your hat pulled down over your eyes, contemplating another bottle of cactus juice! :p :cool: (just don't drink the water!) :D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Bob Collins,

Your idea sounds better every time i hear it!! :)

As it would be "enterprises" it means any kind of business, anywhere in the world, with any type of car (including the company business car), the sky is the limit for any model scale.

Geee, now you have my brain working overtime! ... Where's my Valium? .. :D :D

kettlestack

gibbs

Charlie,

I've been thinking about the problems with the different eras as well. I'm good with either the single industry(newspaper is a good one) or conglomerate theme. Stealing your idea (font type and all):D I came up with three newspaper logos representing turn of the century (20th) to modern era. These could be applied to a gauge 'enterprises' logo also.

Attachments

• guage31.jpg
    guage31.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 56

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi all, I've been reading with some interest but with no input till now, I really like Charlie's artwork..It looks like it is engraved in stone. It really is the first post that I can see fitting into my scheme of things. I have a main street type of scene in development, a small city type deal along the lines of Paterson, Passaic or Clifton in N.J., if any of you are familiar with them. The era is 1948-52. By the way, Woodie, how did you know about Hackensack? I lived there for a few years. It's a bit smaller than the cities I mentioned, but close to the feel. Anyway, a granite structure housing the Gauge newspaper offices would be ideal. Any ideas on how the lettering could be made to appear engraved in the plastic which would be used to simulate the granite? I would put it over the entrance doors. Perhaps artwork could be used to photoetch brass which could be laminated to styrene? I am clueless as to how to create artwork so will have to depend on those of you who seem to enjoy it. At any rate, have fun guys.

Gary

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
No comments other than to say I think Bristol Ridge & Western sounds really kewl, Bob.

The only thing I found similar in about five quick minutes of research were as follows (and none of them are even close in my mind).....

Bristol Industrial Terminal Railway
Chestnut Ridge Railway
Virginia Blue Ridge Railway

rockislandmike

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Hackensack? Just "lurv" that name! Like Boise, and Hobokin... Besides, Hackensack is in a few songs..... Isn't it? I'll go there one of these days. Just so I can say "I've been to Hackensack 'n' back"... What were the words to that song again?

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
I'll jump on the Paper wagon. Hmmm... That sounds wierd... Anyways... With the Newpaper thing even if it is a 'local' on your set doesn't mean it can not be local on another. That whole parallal universe thing.;) Plus, you can make the logging firms contracted by the Newspaper. Also, who says the Paper didn't pick up the tab on the Telegraph in town ( the OLD scene). Gotta get that far off news somewheres.:D :D Anyways, it's something that grew because of the railroad, soooo.... it kinda grew with it.
I'll get off my soapbox now, gotta get to washing clothes.:p

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Polar Bears

I see that this thread that I started back in 2002 is still sort of chugging along. I started it as an idea about all of us placing a polar bear somewhere on our layouts like an article in a couple of MMR magazines. We then drifted off to the "Gauge Box" and had great fun with that for many months.