Garahbara gets moving

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
This tank car on the abandonded siding needs to be taken away and scrapped. Oh.... and don't take any notice of the white globs. That's the white wood glue still drying out. :)

DSCF0031.JPG

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Woodie, the Garahbara already has lots of atmosphere! Scenery and rolling stock are looking great, and Rural Agents was a winner from the start! :thumb:

Two questions about those two-axled... ummm.. gondolas?
- Are there (still?) such British looking freight cars around in Australia?
- What are those right angled levers for? Brake levers? (Or just for hanging up a sweat-soaked T-shirt to dry? :D :D :D )

Ron

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Thanks for the comments guys. :D Appreciated. :)

RailRon said:
Two questions about those two-axled... ummm.. gondolas?
- Are there (still?) such British looking freight cars around in Australia?
- What are those right angled levers for? Brake levers? (Or just for hanging up a sweat-soaked T-shirt to dry? :D :D :D )

Ron

Ron, the "two axled" are just ordinary old Victorian Railways trucks. Coded I and/or Y wagons. Built 1920's etc. Used just about for everything. Their last job was hauling coal in the 1970's. The "levers" are for holding the tarpaulins up. (see the first pic) when carrying standard freight. That tarp is actually loo paper, shaped, then painted with floquil "aged concrete".

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
CharlesH. said:
I really like that gritty, dusty look. And how did you make those bushy weeds?

Umm which bushy weed. Charles? The large weedy stuff (green) is some sort of moss/lichen that grows on fence posts and tree branches right outside my trainshed. :) The smaller "fluffy" brown ones are faux-fur. White, but coloured with a wash of yellow ochre and brown artist acrylic paints. Sliced off into little bits (through the botton with exacto knife) fluffed up, and trimmed and then stuck there. :)

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
And one more to finish the lot off. :) I need more light, so I can use a higher F Stop to get a better depth of field.

But.... Like everything else. I'm workin' on it. :)

Attachments

• DSCF0079.JPG
    DSCF0079.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 132

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thanks for the explanations, Woodie!

(And until now I always thought that Australian railroads were dead ringer copies of American RRs - apart from the gauge.... :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :eek:ops: )

Ron

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Say Woodie, would that be a left handed railroad you are running there. Sure looks that way to me?? It looks great and I guess you will motivate me to finally get started building again. I keep saying that when the cold weather gets here and I am pretty much house bound I'll get going....famous last words :)

Bob

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
Oh my, I have driven with some of you folks who cling to the "other" side of the road. Drove in northern England, Scotland and in New Zealand. Most of the time it didn't make any difference as the road was only one lane wide anyway. In England and Scotland, the most interesting part was the one and a half lane roads with right angle turns and six foot high stone walls. I quickly understood why the English and Scots were such great Formula 1 drivers, they just went down the road and practiced.

Woodie knows that I've ridden the train in Australia (and England and Scotland too) as we talked about riding the XPT from Melbourne to Sydney. Later I viewed a video of a portion of that piece of track where standard and wide gauge tracks parallel each other and they showed some wonderful shots of several steam engines side by sides. For me it would have been worth the price of a plane ticket to OZ to have seen that happen.

Bob