Found this and thought others....

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by COMBAT, Mar 13, 2007.

COMBAT Member

I found this on the web and thought others might want to see it.

Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad

[​IMG] Established 1881[​IMG]

You are looking from the Dispatch Tower toward one of the following locations:
    The roundhouse and carshop leads. You'll see activity as early as 5:00 am - 9:30 am MDT as we begin our mornings. Switching and other activities may be witnessed throughout the day. Again you'll see activity between 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm MDT while we put away the locomotives for the evening.

I might get to go do this....

Did it as a kid and would love to go back. :)

COMBAT Member

3. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Your first link askes for a username and password.
  4. ESE999

ESE999 Member

At worked at this museum for a little while:
    They have a large collection of transition era diesels, interurbans and two 0-4-0, one saddle tank the other fireless. If you want the best of western new york steam, then the a&a is what you want:
  5. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

We are planning on being there this summer.
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

It didn't ask me for one. :confused:
  7. stripes

stripes Member

The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad is a great trip! I took it many years ago when I lived in Alb. NM.
    When your in the area be sure to check out Mesa Verda National park and the pueblo dwellings!
  8. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Thanks for the effort but I'm not having a whole lot of luck with the first link either. The Java thing takes forever to load up and then it stalls out as undefined. I'll try later from the home page.

COMBAT Member

I hope you guys got it figured out as it was cool to look at the pictures ect.
  10. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Perhaps you are already a member of the site and it automatically signs you in.
  11. JR&Son

JR&Son Member

She was born one mornin' on a Sun Juan summer back in 18-an'-80-an'-1
    She was a beautiful daughter of the D & RG and she weighed about a thousand ton
    Well it's a 45 mile thru the Animas Canyon so they set her on the narrow-guage
    She drunk a whole lotta water and she ate a lotta coal
    And they called her the Silverton (Silverton Train)
    (Here comes the Silverton up from Durango
    Here come the Silverton a shovelin' coal
    Here comes the Silverton up from the canyon
    See the smoke and hear the whistle blow)

Well now listen to the whistle in the rockwood cut on the high line to Silverton Town
    And you're gonna get a shiver when you check out the river
    Which is four hundred feet straight down
    Take on some water and the Needleton tank and then I struggle up a two-five grade
    And by the time you get your hide past the snowshed slide
    You've had a ride on the Silverton (Silverton Train)
    (Here comes the Silverton...
    [ strings ]

Now down by the station early in the mornin' there's a whole lotta people in line
    And they all got a ticket on the train to yesterday and it's a gonna leave on time
    Well it's a 45 mile thru the Animas Canyon so they set her on the narrow-guage
    She takes a whole lotta water and she ate a lotta coal
    And they called her the Silverton (Silverton Train)

CW McCall
  12. CCT70

CCT70 Member

Loaded ok for me. No password required.

Cool cam!
  13. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

eeerrrmmmmm...... Nope.
  14. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

That is the coolest song!!!!!!! My dad and I used to listen to that on his record player ohhhhh 'bout 25+ years ago! He had a whole Pioneer system going with big old box speakers that drove mom right out of the house. 'Course we lived on a ranch so we did not bother any of our neighbors... just mom. Thanks for the memories!!!
  15. Maineiac

Maineiac New Model Railroader

Works for me. You may need to upgrade the Java software on your computer if you're having problems with it.
  16. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Must be the notebook. I finally got on my desktop and it works fine. Maybe something to do with Java. Shows what happens when you look for a bargain. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  17. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

18. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Have fun. I've chased that train up and down, drooled on all the locomotives at both ends BUT never ridden it (except for a day out with Thomas last year but that didn't count 'cause we only went like 2 miles up the track and then came back). I love staying in the campground out by Kaibab Lake 'cause every morning you can hear the steam trains go by down below and you can hear the diesels on the main line growling up the grade.
  19. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

If you talk to me nice, maybe I will take some pictures... Maybe :)
  20. woodone

woodone Member

Yes take lots of photos. This is one of the best railroading outings that you can take(IMO)
    Have been there twice, and loved it both times!:D