First weathered loco

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
weathering part 2

Not so sure if this is an improvement or not. In some ways yes, in others no. I think I've tried too many different techniques that are not all compatible. But, on the plus side, I did hit on one or two things that really work well, eg a very light airbrush coat (almost a dusting) of rust paint over the stock plastic produces an excellent realistic aged colour.
On the minus side, I've all but obliterated the number. Then I tried to lightly get rid of some of the black paint which only made it worse. Rats. I have to figure out a way to fix that. At least the other side is okay. Anyway, enough rambling.

cheers
;) Val

Attachments

• engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 61

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Val, Blake is a member tho he doesn't post often. He is a friend of mine who is an excellant modeler and painter. He has painted several brass locos for me. You can see most of them in a thread on page 7 called "Hudsons for Matt" There probably is a link to his website on his member data, full name is Blake Tatar.

Gary

Drew Toner

Mar 2, 2002
McLennan, Alberta, Canada.
Visit site
Val, I feel your pain:( . I never thought I could weather a model, (as a matter of fact, most of my structures still aren't!!) But After I weathered my first car, now they just don't look the same with out weathering. Your doing a real fine job, good research, that's the key;) ;)

Drew

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot everyone!

Jon, I just realized that all my little people are office workers and other city folk. No wonder that engine is such a mess. There's not a single RR employee as far as the eye can see. Guess I'll have to do some hiring pretty soon, maybe take out an ad in the local paper. (Hope they're a little more motivated than your guys).

Gary, Blake's work is awesome, I found his site.

cheers
;) Val

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by spitfire

Jon, I just realized that all my little people are office workers and other city folk. No wonder that engine is such a mess. There's not a single RR employee as far as the eye can see. Guess I'll have to do some hiring pretty soon, maybe take out an ad in the local paper. (Hope they're a little more motivated than your guys).

They were OK, until they started talkin' union, EPA, OSHA and stuff. I have to remind them that OSHO hasn't been invented yet, nobody is really even thinking about the environment yet, much less the EPA, and taking an employer to court is unheard of. 'Course there's always some little plastic pipsqueek, "But as an individual, I can care about the environment." Acetone! Then they all got together and said that unions have been around for years and they're going on strike. And I just smiled, acted like I was leaving and mumbled, "But guess who's God in your world?" They said in unison, "huh?" Then as I pound on the bench with my fist, "EARTHQUAKE!!!" That shuts 'em up!

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
Jon you are not a well person! And I thank God every day for that fact! :D :D :D Please keep on keeping on friend! :)

Ditto. He keeps us all in stitches.:D :D :D

Val, I really enjoy seeing your progress. Keep it up. someday I am going to follow your example with weathering my own 2-8-0's and Mikes.

:) :) :)