First weathered loco

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Well, I found that Model RR mag article on weathering steam locos, and a few prototype pix on the net and finally gathered up the courage to paint the sucker. A lot of models have a very grey looking smoke box - from the photos I've seen that wasn't the case - at least it wasn't so obvious. The effect was more that it was a different texture - the loco would show shiny black paint, with soot and grime, but the firebox was totally matte in finish. I've tried to capture that look. The lighting here is not that great, but I can't wait for daylight to show y'all what I've done. I think I need to do a little more work on the "scale" dripping down the sides, but here she is so far.

cheers
;) Val

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 157

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice work Val!!:cool:
Are you using an aur brush?
For getting that sand & ash coloring on the yard goat (which tended to be dirtier than the road engines) try dry-brushing with some Polly Scale Concrete, or Aged White.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Nice work Val! In regard to the smokebox, it and the firebox were the hottest parts of the loco. The paint used on the rest of the loco didn't last as long on the smokebox. Especially the paints from the earlier days. When first placed in service after painting, the first thing that would happen is the paint finish would become flat. It wouldn't take to long before it would start to peel. In the very early days, the smokebox wasn't painted, they used Russia Iron. It had a nice blue tint, like gunmetal. That lighter color you refered to was the use of graphite, which helped withstand the heat. The best approach to painting a model is to work from prototype photos of the road you model, of course. If you are not modeling a particular prototype, paint as you wish, both the light and dark colors were common.

Gary

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks guys!

Gary, that's very interesting and useful info, and explains why I've seen both. I've been looking for prototype photos, but in the case of CN steam they're all black and white, which doesn't help much for colour. In the case of a loco built in 1927 still in use in the 1950's, which paint job do you think it would have?

Charlie, I used a regular brush first to paint the boiler oily black, then airbrushed over it with engine black on top and a light grey mix on the sides. Then I did some light grey washes for the drips, and some rust washes for rust. I left the smokebox its original flat black, and finally repainted some oily black here and there. Then some white. Then more black, etc. Trying things basically. I've now done quite a few coats and its kind of hard to tell what's what anymore.

I found this pic on the net that I really like, and now I'm thinking I need more light colour on top. What do you think?

cheers
:D Val

Attachments

• anshan.jpg
    anshan.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 134

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Val, I can't say, I would suggest painting it the way you prefer, both are prototypical. In regard to your last post concerning the photo and a lighter color on top, I just had a conversation with Blake about this the other day. He told me he tints the black with blue and sprays this on the boiler top from above. This is to add the effect of "outdoors" (reflecting the sky). It is subtle but effective.

Gary

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
he tints the black with blue and sprays this on the boiler top from above. This is to add the effect of "outdoors" (reflecting the sky). It is subtle but effective.

Val,
I was going to comment on the pic, when I saw Gary's reply. some of that "lighter color" is sky reflection (locomotives were glossy when freshly painted). I have seen some of Blake's work, and didn't realize he had done the tinting. "Subtle but effective",very definitely!
One thing which helps a steam loco model look far better is to eliminate the bright shine of the sides of the tires (the surface of the tire, and the flange would be "highly polished"), and the side, and main rods, and valve gear.
The box car is beautifully done! Can't wait to see the loco when you've done everything you wanted to it.
Pete

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks Tyson - those pix are going to be very useful. Thanks Gary, Pete, Marty, Robin, Casey and aart. Gary, the painting tip re the reflected sky is an interesting one - any idea where I can see Blake's work? Is he a Gauge member - cuz I don't recognize the name.

Robin, my camera is the Olympus (brand of the gods) C730 Ultra Zoom.

Here's an interesting bit of info I came across - it's John Allen's "warm black" mix for locos: 70% engine black, 25% white, 5% boxcar red. He varied the proportions from one loco to the next so they wouldn't all be the same.

cheers
;) Val