Double fun for July/Aug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
Wow! These are all great pictures. I hope my entry is on par.

Took this back about 2 months ago in Richmond Ca at a local warf area. I was amazed. The only "shopping" I did to the photo was to set the horizon. I lean when I shoot (grin).

boonk1.med.jpg

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
My second entry is an N-Scale Mikado on my old layout. I was going for the look of motion. Some photoshop steam and cleaned up the background a bit. Got the wheels to spin by holding the engine and a slow shutter.

mikado.jpg

sidneylopsides

Jul 11, 2005
Leeds, UK
www.se-nse.com
seanm said:
Took this back about 2 months ago in Richmond Ca at a local warf area. I was amazed. The only "shopping" I did to the photo was to set the horizon. I lean when I shoot (grin).

What happened there? Looks like someone used a giant vacuum to suck out the contents and left it on too long :p

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
I really don't know but can guess someone was pumping it out and forgot to leave a valve open someplace.. Seems like a real expensive mistake! I have seen other pictures of thsi sort of thing, but this was my first live encounter. It is very impressive to think good old air preasure could damage something that big.

who_dat73

Jan 18, 2005
Minnesota
what happened

I saw a picture a while back like this but it was flattened what happens is they steam clean them inside but before it can cool he lid gets shut and the pressure change as it cools from being closed up sucks it down.
:eek:ops:
Luuccy you got some splaneing to do LOL

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
It's not prototypical

Any oldtimers remember the MRR column they used to have years ago that would show a prototypical scene that was not considered standard practice, but gave credibility to a model railroad scene that would normally make a rivet counter shudder?

I went to Garrison NY over the weekend to visit my sister and her husband. They live right on, and I mean RIGHT ON, MetroNorth's mainline on the east side of the Hudson (formally NYC). Right next to the station. Just north, maybe a thousand feet or so there is this...

Attachments

• not_proto.JPG
    not_proto.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 36

seanm

Oct 11, 2004
Sunny CA
www.pegnsean.net
I remember those articles! I always liked them. Reminds us there is a prototype for EVERTHING.

Great picture!! Reminds me of a Marklin train set. (oops... did I offend anyone??)

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Train falls

This next entry is just south of their place across the river. We took a ride in the brother-in-laws' boat and I was able to catch this scene. This is about a mile south of West Point Military academy.

If you want to watch trains, this is the place to be. There is no shortage of freight and passenger trains passing throughout the day. It's alittle noisy at their house due to the trains (MetroNorth's locos stop even with their house when at the station), but since my in-law is a model railroader he seems to be able to shrug it off. I think I could get used to it too.

Attachments

• falls_with_train.JPG
    falls_with_train.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 31

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
Found this thread by accident!

Hadn't thought of sharing my pictures ever nice to see we have some talented photographers in the group! I wanted to do one prototype and one model pic for good variety but my file sizes are too big, one is 112k and the other is over 500k. Any way to reduce the size of the files without hurting quality? They are both Jpegs shot with a digital cam. Thanks!

Cory

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
liven_letdie said:
Hadn't thought of sharing my pictures ever nice to see we have some talented photographers in the group! I wanted to do one prototype and one model pic for good variety but my file sizes are too big, one is 112k and the other is over 500k. Any way to reduce the size of the files without hurting quality? They are both Jpegs shot with a digital cam. Thanks!

Cory

Cory -

CLick here for instructions on posting to The Gauge. I would recommend that you post them, not link, so that they fit on the screen without scrolling, and they are reduced so that they are "dial-up friendly".

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
liven_letdie said:

Cory
Cory,

Follow the instructions in the link that Andrew gave you. You can reduce the picture size appreciably without any noticable effect when viewing on another computer. for example, your 500K file might have a pixel size of (just guessing), 1700 x 1200, or bigger. Reducing that to 640 x 480 might bring it down to 150 K, then by reducing the "quality", you can get it the size needed to post here. As Andrew said, we prefer you do not link, even though you can post bigger pictures at higher resolutions. When you do, they become too big for most people's screens and they have to scroll, Not good if you want to show your picture all at once. Higher files sizes makes it difficult for those who don't have high-speed access.

The 640 x 480 pixel and 65K max. file size is great for viewing and you don't lose any detail. If you're still having problems reducing your pics, let me know and I can work with you.

liven_letdie

Mar 22, 2005
Turlock, CA
www.downthelinetrains.com
Problems with posting

I looked to see what kind of resolution i have on my two pics. The 115K picture is 640x480 already, i think it was taken at 3mp. The other monster is 980 by 12something. I think it was taken at 5mp. Does this help?

Cory

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Cory,

If you are already at 640 x 480, you will need a photo app to resize it. Some photo apps, like the one in the example I used in the thread Andrew linked for you, use the term, "optimize". You can reduce, or optimize the "quality" by percentages until you get the file down to 65K or less. Reducing the pixel size is easy too, but again, you need a photo app if you're going to do both.

If you don't have a photo app, let me know and I can tell you were to get one that will do the job at no cost. Free is good.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
This is my second entry. One might thing that this is the beginning of the end for these cars and engine, but in fact, it is the end of the beginning, or new beginning. They are on a siding of the Verde Canyon Railroad awaiting restoration. The cars once ran on the SF El Capitan and could soon be seeing passengers again as the train tours the Verde Canyon near Sedona in Arizona.

Attachments

• Old train2.jpg
    Old train2.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 30
Status
Not open for further replies.