Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
One month break over

You guys probably thought I fell off the face of the Earth :rolleyes:

I'm back!

Just had to wait for a very lengthy delivery from Loyalhanna Dock Yard. All right, here's where I offend the "paper purists". :p

Got my partial delivery of white metal fittings and fabric flags. I've got some life rafts (more on the way due to partial order), signal lights, sailors at ease and all flags.

I'm still missing draped hoses and some oval life rafts.

here's some shots of the original packaging and the start of painting and flag wear. yep, flag wear. I've got to break in these flags so they'll hang correctly.

More updates soon!

3363597921_35c7ef2d94_b.jpg

3364420064_d4d773b587_b.jpg

3363600113_fb6aea1ddc_b.jpg

papastumpy

Dec 20, 2008
Lowell, North Carolina
Glad to see you back and still adding those little details that makes a creation sing. I went back and re-read the complete thread tonight, and I have to admit, it got the juices to following. Just have not felt like doing anything for awhile now. I have one laid out on the glass, a waterline build, will see how it goes before I post anything. Seems like every time I do, something happens to stop the build. I will let this much out, she is a Heavy Cruiser, IJN, 1:200 scale, Fly 96. I have found lately I rather build waterline. My bottoms never turn out like I want. I was impressed with the white metal fittings. Looking forward to seeing mounted. Have a good night my friend. PS: Wife is fine:wave:. Rick

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Rick. Good luck with your next project. I hope you start a build thread soon. Best wishes to you and your wife. It's good to hear she's doing better.

I've got a quick picture update of the flags, signal lights and life rafts. I'm having second thoughts about the battle flag's size. It may be a bit too small. I'll have to give it some thought. The Navy Jack looks to be a good size though.

Right now I'm painting sailors and getting those guys ready to man their stations. sign1

3369501998_a859cf5215_b.jpg

3368677737_e500cb3c24_b.jpg

3368677031_aed23d582e_b.jpg

Mauiman

Nov 4, 2007
In the badlands of jupiter
Good job on this nice Pennsylvania class battleship. It's registry Number was BB - 39 and your model is truly a sight to behold. The other Pennsylvania class battleship was of course USS Pennsylvania BB - 38.

A little food fact for the brain for all those whom would like to get some brain food.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Tiny Sailors

Thanks Beachead and Mauiman! You guys are a great support group through this marathon...

I've started cleaning up and painting the sailors. There's lots of casting flash on these and they require some clean up prior to painting.

I've used Tamiya and Modelmaster acrylics for the uniforms, and I'm using water color for the flesh and facial/hair features. The photos below show my six crewmen in various stages of painting and touch-up. I'll post again when they're manning their battle stations. :cool:

3387490281_3bedbbe880_b.jpg

3388297870_e47f2bb399_b.jpg

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Sailors on Watch

Sailors on watch. I had thought six would be a good number, but they look lonely. :rolleyes:

I spread them out to various positions to give a good feel of scale for the overall model. Even for a relatively small battleship, the Arizona was huge.

Now I sit and wait again for more details to show up. More rafts and draped hoses, then I can officially call her finished.

3390638027_48623a71b9_b.jpg

3391451020_626309c231_b.jpg

3391451982_97e0ebf87d_b.jpg

3391453416_8a7ba8bd02_b.jpg

3390640223_5d1e033875_b.jpg

ltla9000311

Aug 14, 2008
Fresno, California
eibwarrior-I have been lurking in the wings of your thread so to speak, watching you slowly take this kit of paper, and turn it into a work of art. The time and attention you have spent on building this once great battleship is truly an honor to those who served on her decks.

I must say that we all, here on the forum, will leave comments like "looks good" or "keep it up". These words do not do justice to the project we see before us here.

While I am one of the "Gen X'ers" and have never heard a shot fired in anger, I have read enough and talked to a few World War 2 veterans, to personally believe they were the "Greatest Generation".

Your model of paper and metal captures a moment in time that we will never see again. That to me is very profound. You may not have considered this when building this beautiful model, but it struck me as I was looking at those figures on her decks.

If this model gets just one teenager to look twice and ask a question, then maybe there is hope for us after all. Thank you very much for sharing your passion with us.

reklein

Jun 11, 2008
Lewiston ID
The previous poster is right on.
I was thinking that maybe now is the time to resin cast a bunch of sailors using your figures as masters. I think its OK to do your own. This has been susch a long project though. Figures are something one can add as you go along. Years ago I tink it was Glen Staubitz who coined the term progressive detailing. He used it in regard to R/C ships. The idea was get em running and detail as time allows.
You've really shown commitment to a project, good show. BILL

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
ltla9000311, that was a very moving and appreciated statement. I certainly didn't set out for such a goal, but I find myself staring at her when I'm in my office. My son is 4 right now, but I hope as he grows up he'll ask questions and I can share my knowledge of history with him. In fact, some day I hope he'll take her off my hands when I get too old to take care of her. Any little thing that I can do to stimulate the preservation of such history makes me feel as though I'm making some small contribution. Thanks for your very kind words.

Bill, I like your idea of casting resin duplicates of these sailors. It's a great idea. I'm sure I'll be adding/modifying this model for years to come.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
It's actually a light grey. The 1/100 upscale exaggerated the tone of the color a bit when printed.

The structure above the tops of the funnel were painted a light grey at the time due to US Navy cammo measures. It reduced visibility of the upper structures above the horizon line.

TXVanguard

Mar 13, 2009
Maybe it's just my computer, but the upper structure looks pink on my machine. Does the color have a pinkish tint in person, or is it simply a light gray?

Thanks, and terrific model by the way.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks for the complement.

It's not pink, but there is a hue that has some red in the grey (funny as that may sound). I think the pixels of the color were exaggerated on the upscale, and this grey has some tonal changes from what it would look like at a smaller scale.

The pictures taken with a flash exaggerate the tones as well. The grey almost has a "flesh" tone feel to it.

J

jagolden

Such a stunning build on an important piece of history.
For historical and build purposes I hope this thread is converted to one of the downloadable PDF "build" files.

I'd place the slight color shift change on the printer rather than the scale-up. That should not have such an effect. Are the Digital Navy ship models vector or raster? I thought vector?

Regardless, this is a magnificent, museum quality build. I hope it brings you endless pleasure and reflection in the years to come. It's certainly brought that to me (and I'm sure everyone else) as we've watched you bring this to completion.

Congratulations!

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks jagolden... I never thought of that. I had a commercial printer do these parts for me, so I'm not sure what settings they used. I think your theory holds some water though.

Thanks for the immense complement. My biggest challenge now is to build a clear case/table for it. That's going to set me back just a bit in the $ category.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
More Details

I finally received the last of my details for the Arizona. More rafts, this time ovals and draped hoses.

I've painted and mounted my rafts. Had some flash to clean up on those, but they turned out well.

I'm painting and hanging the draped hoses right now. Once these are mounted. It's essentially finished.

3427234653_efa959ac5a_b.jpg

3428043614_6c11ac23d3_b.jpg

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Mauiman.

I've really just piddled with the ARIZONA lately, while I've been in some other projects.

I'm mounting draped hoses right now and making preparations for the final photo shoot soon.