Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

Thanks reklein and Ski.

I am by no means a purist of paper. I build ship models in all mediums. Resin is an arena that I'm starting to get an interest. Plastic is an old friend, and paper is probably my favorite. Although I must admit I do have limitations in paper. Micro modeling being one of them and rolling tight gun barrels another....

All in all, I'm pleased if the subject measures up to my expectations. If that requires multi-media ship's boats or scratch-built, then so be it. I gave the paper versions the old college try and I'm just not happy. Bottom line, I appreciate all the good feedback on these boats, but I'd never be satisified displaying them after 15+ months of work on the Arizona. I've set the bar high on this project and I've got to be satisified in the end, whatever the means.

Merry Christmas everyone... I'm heading over to Loyalhanna Dock Yard as we speak to do some post-Christmas window shopping...

birder

Eib, I agree, all that work, however, in my personal view (for what that may be worth:confused:) is that the boats are not that bad. You may be surprised at that, but really I like them. Sure a touch of latex putty and paint would shine up the hulls, but I don't think they're that bad.

ps: I found out the hard way that they need to be sealed/sprayed to do that, though..

Thanks Birder... I just got some major sticker-shock on aftermarket resin boats. I may end up building all these anyway. As I continue to deliberate.

Back to Work

I've used my thinking time to build some additional details that I skipped over earlier in the build. The first shots are of six 30 cal. machine guns that needed to be placed in the funnel platforms and the upper nest on the aft mast. These are fun little guns to build. They translate well on the upscale to 1/100.

I've also cleaned up a few details on the forward mast upper platform added circular handrails and small boom. Also started running the first rigging. The main line from the jack staff to the forward mast spotting room.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :wave:

3153647287_ce1c9a5da1_b.jpg

3153647399_72e0f1f026_b.jpg

3154487430_3c39f0d2df_b.jpg

3153647637_e2a64e0b4b_b.jpg

3153647771_bd114bc7fe_b.jpg

smyfe

:thumb:It is a Happy New Year seeing such a work of art, please tell me you have a case or cabinet to display it in all it's glory:thumb:

Back to boats

Thanks Smyfe... Yes, I'm planning on having a furniture maker build a custom cabinet for it with a clear plexi-glass front and lighting within. I know that's going to set me back a bit, but I think it will be well worth it for display and preservation...

After much torment on the ship's boats, I've ventured back into them. Below is a shot of the other two motor boat launches. These look better to me than the first one for some reason. Maybe I just needed some time to get used to them or maybe I did a better job on these two. Who knows? wall1

As you can see there are some racks that I need to build in order to place these two on the quarterdeck beside turret #3.

More updates soon!

Attachments

• Arizona 217.jpg
    Arizona 217.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 32

reklein

Those new boats are looking good!! I need to say that it wasn't that the previous boats were all that poorly built its just that the design of those small boats left something to be desired. Having built a few of them myself,My thoughts were,"how'm I supposed to get a nice boat shape out of that". I haven't done that much paper modeling ,having only discovered them about ten years ago,but this online observation of them has really opened my eyes to the possibilities.
I imagine that commercial resin models WERE really expensive. The cost of resin kits has pretty much kept me out of that line of modeling. I have done some resin casting though and it is a way to get what can't be bought but it doesn't save much, if any money.
Anyways, keep up the good work and good idea to get a case made. It'd be a shame to have the family cat destroy a years worth of work. BILL

Thanks Bill.

Yes, those resin boats at Loyalhanna Dock Yard were expensive. About $20 - $30 each depending on the size. Way too much for my already thin wallet. I'll bet the detail on them was great though.

At this point, I'm satisified with what I have. I've placed these boats in the quarterdeck and they look good enough. They really just accent what they're around. They're not the primary focus of the model.

I've got to get my wallet ready for the case that will hold this beast and that will be some significant $.

Motor Boats on Racks

Thanks Rick!

I've completed the two racks for mounting the motor boats on the quarterdeck. For some reason, I love building the racks. Maybe its all the cut outs. :mrgreen:

Any way, I've mounted them to the deck and placed the boats within. There, now that may have been one of the more challenging and trying parts of this entire build. And it waited until nearly the very end!

Four more boats to go, of the easy variety... The large boats for transporting the crew in mass numbers to the mooring location and shore.

Attachments

• Arizona 218.jpg
    Arizona 218.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Arizona 219.jpg
    Arizona 219.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 30

exzealot

Absolutely STUNNING! A fitting tribute to such an important piece of history and to all those who lost their lives on that terrible day.

Congratulations on your project. I'm totally blown away..

Ken

Mauiman

stunning EIB! This will definately will look good in that cabinet.
Keep up the good work!

This message was made and posted on a Nintendo WII

Two Medium-size boats

Thanks guys!

I've completed the two medium-size boats that are on the mid-level of the shelter deck racks. These will be on top of the boats (the largest) that I'm currently building.

These two were pretty easy to build and the results are adequate. I still hate gluing these seams together on the hulls.

I've placed them in the racks for now for this photo-op.

Attachments

• Arizona 220.jpg
    Arizona 220.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 55
wow. the boats add a great level of detail to the ship. perhaps you could paint the hulls to disguise the seams a bit? they don't look horrible as they are, but toning them down a bit may help you to enjoy them more. Now that i think of it, smoothing out the hulls with some wood putty, a bit of sand and some paint would be a pretty easy fix, especially with their small size.

I'm not sure that I'm up to painting the entire hull, but I think painting the seams to make them disappear could be a good fix.

I'm afraid if I paint the whole hull that the tint might be off and it could make the boats not blend with the ship's color. I might be able to play with some color mixes and get something reasonably close to conceal the seams.

No doubt, it would go a long way towards making these craft look much better.