Designing Cardmodels - Paragon Style

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Paragon, Dec 14, 2007.

1. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Hi Paragon, great design style.

I'm current working on a design using Metasequoia / pepakura following a tutorial elsewhere in the forum.

Your system looks so much simpler on paper, (sorry, poor joke), I though I'd do your style in parallel and see which method give the best time taken by model quality result.

One question. When you place you top/side/bottom views together how do you work out the overlap? To much overlap and the body would be skinny, not enough and it would be fat. Is there some sort of number crunching or do you use your best judgment?

Cheers JTF
  2. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Mostly best judgement. Typically, there are details from the side view that are also in the top and bottom views, and that marks the appropriate amount of overlap, just lay those details atop each other. Its not always perfect, of course, so the best defence against that problem is testbuilding! Since my models are very simply, testbuilds don't take up much time or paper, for other models, this might not be the case.

I do also have to warn that I believe model quality drops when using this method. It is not as accurate when designing this way unless you test different parts over and over until they're perfect. I'm not sure how much more time this would take.
  3. JT Fox

JT Fox Member

Best Judgment it is then.

Cheers JTF
  4. edi

edi Member

Well, I`ve managed to finish my first design, based on Paragons tutorial.
    Okay, there are some mistakes, but all in all I`m quite happy with it.
    The Reggiane is built in 1/144 as usual

Attached Files:

5. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Very nice! Do you plan on releasing it?
  6. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

Oh, btw, mods, any chance of moving this to the Tutorial section? It looks like it belongs there.
  7. edi

edi Member

it`s already done
  8. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Done... with a permanent redirect from the original location... better late than never. :D
  9. Arjun

Arjun Member

I've been looking at the Swing Wing section of the Instructions page. I have a MiG-23 (or MiG-27) in mind, and I'd like to know how to get the right shape for the inner (gear) parts.
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

...Trial and error I suppose?... :D
  11. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

It was part trial and error, but I also did a lot of measuring out of circles. Find the focal point on which the wing will pivot, then create a circle that will overlap the same circle on the other wing. Make sure the center is anchored around the wing's focal point, of course. Then draw a second smaller circle inside the first, but it should end where at the edge of the other wing's large circle. The large circle represents the tip of each tooth in the cog, and the smaller circle is the trough between each tooth. Draw one tooth, then duplicate as many times as necessary, and put them around the rest of the cog. Make sure, of course, to offset the opposite wing by one tooth, otherwise the wings will end up at different angles.
  12. rocketmonkey

rocketmonkey New Member

Wicked tutorial, Paragon. Nice one mate!