Building of huge hull - Yamato 1:200

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by Highlander, May 10, 2007.

1. gippolot

gippolot Member

Brilliant photos of your model Highlander. :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

2. chapuzas100

chapuzas100 Member

You are the light that guides me in the construction of complete helmets
  3. Highlander

Highlander Member

You are welcome Chapuzas :mrgreen:
    The build of Yamato in progress

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Nemesis7485

Nemesis7485 Member

Whoa! That's got to be the smoothest hull I've seen on a card model. Nice work!
  5. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I had to use 2 cans of spraypaint to get my Daring hull to look like that, but yours still looks way better... awesome stuff!
  6. JHS

JHS Member

Brilliant work!
  7. redhorse

redhorse Member

That hull is incredible!
  8. Teamski

Teamski Member

They're right, that is unbelievable!!

9. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Awesome indeed! :eek: :thumb:

Just wondering...what's that little pole sticking out of from under the hull?
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'm with you on that. It's perhaps the most perfect formed hull in paper I have seen here without sanding and painting the skin. :thumb:
  11. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Hi Highlander!

I noticed something, the number of longtitudinal hull formers seems to be more than the ones present in the kit? Is this your own modification? I also noticed that you have placed a large flat piece of cardboard at the bottom of the ship. This is also not in the instruction of the 1/200 Halinski Yamato.

Do you have a site where you got this technique or is this your own technique for a smooth hull?

I also have a 1/200 Halinski Yamato and noticed the difference between Halinski's by the book instructions and your technique of building and getting such a beautiful smooth hull. :thumb:
  12. Highlander

Highlander Member

gian7675 wrote

Yes, there is longtitudinal formers added under the board.

gian7675 wrote

Yes, I designed this for flat part of the bottom, it gives very good result.

gian7675 wrote

It's my idea to get a smooth hull, after seeing hulls filled with foam, I tryed to get a hull "paper only"

The very first try it was Akitsushima from Answer

modelarstwo kartonowe, plastikowe ... :: Zobacz temat - *[Relacja/Okrêt] Tender lotniczy Akitsushima 1:200 Answer

Thanks, I'm very happy that You like my work :mrgreen:
  13. gian7675

gian7675 Member

Thanks for the quick reply and the explanations! :thumb:

I hope that I can do your technique in one of my future builds to get a smooth hull with only paper and no foam or stuffing inside.

You're so good with your modifications. it's so impressive! :thumb:

Another question!

In the Akitsushima thread in the link you posted, aside from the formers, there are smaller formers added that are glued to the side of the hull formers.

Pic taken from the Akitsushima thread

In the first pic, you can see "kit formers" that are marked with the kit patterns and the gray ones which I assume are the ones that are smaller and to be glued beside the "Kit formers"

How did you measure as to what size/how small the "inner formers" are to be in your Yamato hull.

What patience you have to do these secondary formers! wow...:eek: :thumb:
  14. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I've only just found this thread, but I'll be watching like a hawk from now. The hull is a stunning piece of work.
  15. Beachead

Beachead Member

Looking at this just proves I have a long way to go yet....
  16. lriera

lriera Member

You are doing really well, please keep going. Thankyou.
  17. Highlander

Highlander Member

Yamato build thread updating:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for all compliments, I'm glad that you like my work. It helps me to do my best. :mrgreen:

NULLMOON Member

looking at that akisima build in that link theres no chance that ill be building this kit in my collection as what ever i do will look c**p in comparison i envy people who can build these big ships:thumb:
  19. Highlander

Highlander Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. redhorse

redhorse Member

Thanks so much for posting more pictures on this build. I've been thinking about this one quite a bit since I first saw it. I'm really impressed, still blows me away what can be done with paper!