Beach Railroad, ver. 2.0

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Papa Bear, Jun 7, 2004.

1. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

I've started work on a 2'4" X 4' layout. This will be a seaside layout similar to the one I posted pictures of in the Pictures of Old Layout thread. I missed the colors of the old layout. :(

Benchwork consists of a frame of 1X3's with a 1/4" plywood floor. Two layers of 1/2" blue foam cover the plywood and form the basic scenery. The track plan is a simple loop using Kato Unitrack.

Attached Files:

2. alphanumeric

alphanumeric Member

wow looks good! cant wait to see future progress =)
  3. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I'm glad to see you do this, I liked your old one. :thumb: FRED
  4. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

This one I want to see! I want to build a small layout just to have some american trains, and this perfect.

Keep up the excelent work.
  5. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Sand Dunes

Here is a cut through the sand dunes. The foreman hopes to get some vegetation established soon so that maybe he won't have to keep digging out the track where the dunes have drifted in.

I used Great Stuff to form the dunes. When it hardens, I cut and shape the dunes and then cover them with joint compound.

Attached Files:

6. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Went to an actual beach this weekend to get some inspiration :cool: .

Attached Files:

7. siderod

siderod Member

Nice looking layout...nice beach too!
  8. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

The layout looks good so far. Now the beach is a different story. I really liked your old layout better. :cry:
  9. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Looks like you got a very nice beachfront property started.
    :thumb: :thumb:
    Hey! That's what the beach 'round my way looks.
    'Round her if'n ya' mess with the Sea Oats you get time in the pokey. :eek:
    Sooo... the beaches (that arn't wall-to-wall bikini's) are all grassy-like.
    Kinda nice at times. Gives a feel of being on an remote island.
    Till the ankle biters come 'round with their rice burners thump'n. :mad:

P.S.- Some of those lil' suits are on VERY large bodies. Yuch! :eek: :oops:
  10. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words! Sir Prize, you have hit the nail on the head. If there were a prototype for this railroad, it would be up the coast and around the big bend from you in Northwest Florida. And, yes, I'm planning to have sea oats, too.

RC, this one's going to have a seaside town, too. I haven't started that part, yet, but I've got one side of the layout "reserved."

More to come...
  11. fifer

fifer Active Member

Great work John , it looks like a lot of fun. I already ran to the closet to get a beach towel!!!!!

:wave: ;) ;) ;) ;)
  12. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

OK, here's what it looks like now. Got some green stuff growing; got the place for the bridge cut out; and I'm waiting for the plaster to dry so I can finish painting the water.

Mike, don't forget your sunblock! :D

Attached Files:

13. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

Hey, what's the trackplan look like?
  14. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Just a simple oval, RC. Will probably have a siding or two in the town section.
  15. b28_82

b28_82 Member

I know you could call it Pensacola. Or you could stretch it and call it Navarre/ Navarre beach.
  16. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

Yes, indeed! I haven't nailed it down exactly, but I'm thinking that this railroad might be a branch of the L&N or Frisco from Pensacola.

Well, the plaster's dry, so out comes the paintbrush. A visiting railfan took a helicopter ride to get this picture.

Attached Files:

17. Papa Bear

Papa Bear Member

An update...

I've added some streets and tentatively set up buildings. Still need to add trees, figures, more foliage, and a gloss coat for the water. Even a small layout takes a lot of work. :D But, I have really enjoyed working on it. It's been like a breath of fresh air for my hobby.

I'm trying to think up a name for this "empire." Here's a list of names I've been considering:
    Pensacola and Eastern
    Pensacola, Navarre, and Gulf
    Seaside and Destin
    Pensacola, Panama City, and Port St Joe (try putting that on a boxcar!)
    Ft Walton and Western

If you have any other suggestions, let's hear 'em. Meanwhile, I'll be catching some rays. :cool:

Attached Files:

18. fifer

fifer Active Member

Looks great John , it is really coming together nicely!

19. Sir_Prize

Sir_Prize Member

Looking very Beachy! :thumb:

Hmmm... I'll take that challenge.

How's this:

Attached Files:

20. rcwatkins

rcwatkins Member

I feel like I need to do a big layout but when I see yours it inspires me to work. ;)