Battlestar Galactica - Light Bomber "Aurora" - Viper concept by Andrew Probert

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Revell-Fan, May 2, 2014.

1. micahrogers

micahrogers Active Member

I happen to like 1/48th for fighter sized craft, it's a good compromise between detail and display size. When funds allow for a replacement printer I might have to do a Mk I in 1/48th just to see if I can...
  2. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator

Don't be ridiculous! :D:D:D:p:p:p:D:D:D
    ASC Mclaren likes this.
  3. Revell-Fan

The Mk. I will come in 1:32 and as a *.pdf, so down-sizing shouldn't be too difficult. :)
  4. Revell-Fan

Now come the jet intakes:

The texture was not convincing which made me to rework it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  5. Revell-Fan

Assembled jet intakes on the plane:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    blueyeppoon, johnmiic, bgt01 and 4 others like this.
  6. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

This is REALLY STARTING to take LIFE!!!
  7. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

That looks amazing RF!!!
  8. Revell-Fan

I'm not so sure about the "nipples" though..! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  9. ASC Mclaren

ASC Mclaren Member

Four? Awesome! Really, I am intending to build it with 5 or 7 near vertical "grills" on each side to capture that '70s sci-fi look.
    Revell-Fan likes this.
  10. Revell-Fan

Hah - you'll never guess what I am doing right now! ;) After a quick and dirty chat with Chris I've been altering the texture and adding - a near vertical grill to all intake recesses! I believe that this will look much better. The whole dilemma was caused by the fact that the intakes are that huge and you can't see what's inside in the drawing (it's all black in there). I wanted to fill it with something. Well, I'll keep you (all) posted! ;)
    ASC Mclaren and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  11. Revell-Fan

OK, this is what I came up with:

The ribs are laminated to cardboard and the edges are coloured with water colours. I have put the inserts loosely into the intakes to see how they look on the plane:

Nevertheless I will add the "nipples" to the final plans just in case someone wishes to use them. ;)
    blueyeppoon, johnmiic, bgt01 and 3 others like this.
  12. mcusanelli

mcusanelli Member

RF, this is a fantastic looking model, the colors, the textures, so clean and crisp, absolutely beautiful as usual! Looking forward to building it very much.
  13. Rhaven Blaack

I like this style of intake better!!!
    I say you should keep it!!!
  14. Revell-Fan

ASC McLaren also likes them, so I guess I'll keep them! :D

Next I'll tackle the fake target launchers. I wanted them to open and close like a door but I fear that won't be possible because of the angle of the hatch. Then I'll have to design the bomb and the landing gear (and maybe a stand). Stay tuned! :)
    Rhaven Blaack and ASC Mclaren like this.
  15. spaceagent-9

spaceagent-9 Right Hand Man and Confidant

that looks great!!

I found these I thought you bsg fans might like it. 10487232_719045528142348_6390102278663104142_n.jpg
    blueyeppoon, Marman and Revell-Fan like this.
  16. Revell-Fan

Yep, I know these. They look awesome and would make some terrific models. :)
  17. Revell-Fan

Man vs. Jet Intakes - part 3 (!)

o_O :android: :banghead:

This was my reaction when I looked at the intakes again. I realized that I had done some SEVERE Felgercarb! :bucktooth:

I was about to turn to the bottom intakes when I noticed two parts I hadn't used on the intakes. They were supposed to be turned into two tubes. I had completely forgotten to use them which led to the strange "nipple" effect. BIG FACEPALM! To make a long story short and to make you understand what I really intended to achieve I'm showing you some pics.

These are the parts for the two top intakes. You see the two grey rectangles for each intake which hadn't been used before. And you see that I have cut two holes out of the front plates of the intakes.

The rectangles are rolled into a tube, the "nipples" are assembled as seen before.

Now it comes: The "nipples" are inserted into the tubes to make them look like what they are supposed to be - some fans (and no "nipples")!

The tubes are glued to the back of the front plates, behind the holes.

Now come the grills.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    ASC Mclaren and Rhaven Blaack like this.
  18. Rhaven Blaack

These look SPECTACULAR!!!
  19. Revell-Fan

The rest is assembled like before.

I painted the edges, of course. ;)

Then I ripped off the previous intakes and attached the new (final) ones.

PHEW! That looks so much better! :)
    blueyeppoon, bgt01, D-WHALE and 4 others like this.
  20. Rhaven Blaack

I REALLY LIKE how these new intakes look. They fit VERY well with the rest of the design of the ship as a whole.