Aru Build thread

M

Mark_1984

Hi folks, being a novice card model builder, hopefuly this will be my first successful build !) I thought I'd share this experience with you. Having stumbled across Aru from a link in another thread, I thought I'd have a bash.
She can be found at http://mizuirogakuen.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

I'm living in South Korea, and getting supplies is nigh on impossible. No craft shops or hobby shops to speak of :( so it's a case of make do with what you can get. (I'm also building a 5" gauge working steam loco, and the lack of a B&Q is making the project 'challenging' at times.) Anyway, I can't find any card stock, so she has been printed on glossy photo paper, using a laserjet printer (thanks to work !!)

I thought I'd make a head start ;-)
head1.jpg

and the head went better than expected. It's not going to win any awards, but it's OK for a first attempt.

fringe 1.jpg

Here is the start of the fringe. It's a bit fiddly, but not too bad.

I'm using Pritt glue, and it's sticking much better, thanks to Chris' tip about scraping the gloss off the paper first.

Any tips or comments greatfully received. Has anybody else built this model, and can forewarn any potential pitfalls ?

Cheers
Mark

GT5500

Apr 23, 2006
Kent, England
Mark_1984 said:
Any tips or comments greatfully received. Has anybody else built this model, and can forewarn any potential pitfalls ?

Cheers
Mark
Looking good so far but I would suggest edge colouring, its something I don;t do very often but really should it make a massive difference. Keep up the good work.

M

Mark_1984

GT5500 said:
Looking good so far but I would suggest edge colouring, its something I don;t do very often but really should it make a massive difference. Keep up the good work.

Good point - I was wondering what to do about the white edges as they are very noticable. Is it best to do this before or after assembly, and what's the best medium to use. I have a good selection of Games Workshop paints and inks with me, but art shops are eluding me at the moment.....

Cheers
Mark

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
I edge right after I cut a part out, before glueing, and edge with the printed side facing away from me. That way I do not accidentally put a mark on the printed side and any excess glue won't keep the color from adhering.

People use colored pencils, watercolor pencils, chalk, felt markers, paint, or just plain graphite pencils. I use Prang brand colored pencils. :)

tjchung

Jan 15, 2005
Mark, where in South Korea do you live? If its anywhere in the Seoul Metro area, I can point you towards a few hobby & crafts shops.

M

Mark_1984

tjchung said:
Mark, where in South Korea do you live? If its anywhere in the Seoul Metro area, I can point you towards a few hobby & crafts shops.
Hi TJChung, Unfortunately I'm nowhere near Seoul - I'm in Mokpo (the back of beyond, but it is a very senic area) Any recommendations for mail order Internet shops would help though

tjchung

Jan 15, 2005
Ahh, Mokpo. Nice little harbor town. The freshest sashimi you can get, eaten steaming fresh right off the fish while it's still flopping around!

Anyway, try this site for plastic hobby kits & parts. They're based in Seoul, but can ship anywhere in the country. The owner is a friend, so if you have questions just write an email in English and I can translate for him.

www.hobbypark.com

Lex

Dollmaker
Dec 1, 2006
Oxford, UK
Really looking foward to this one! --We need more build threads on anime characters. Good work Mark!

M

Mark_1984

A bit more progress on Aru.
The face is finished now, bar the ears.
head2.jpg

I've made a little progress with the fringe. This is fiddly !! I've coloured the edges with purple felt tip. Is this too dark, or won't it be that noticableon the finished model ? The shading is a bit rough as I applied it after construction. In future shading will be done beforehand. (Sorry about the shaky pic)
fringe2.jpg

Here is the back of the neck, ready to be added to the head.
backofhead1.jpg

As you can see, the shading is much neater here ;-)

Cheers
Mark

Lex

Dollmaker
Dec 1, 2006
Oxford, UK
Mark, just to say my experience with Mizuirogakuen models is that it is best to scrape those glue tabs which comes with the model and attach new ones at the back of the parts from spare paper. This worked especially well for heads and faces and could even free you from the problems of "white edges".

Keep up the good work!:)

M

Mark_1984

Nezard said:
Mark, just to say my experience with Mizuirogakuen models is that it is best to scrape those glue tabs which comes with the model and attach new ones at the back of the parts from spare paper. This worked especially well for heads and faces and could even free you from the problems of "white edges".

Thanks - another good tip. I can see how that would work, but it sounds a little fiddly, especially on the fringe (which is a bit of a so-n-so anyway) I'll give it a go on some of the larger parts that are easier to handle.

Cheers
Mark

M

Mark_1984

A little more progress on the head - the basic assembly is complete and her side burns have been added. (I'm sure girls have a better name for that bit of hair ;) ) Now I've got to complete the fringe and try to work out how it's supposed to attach to the head. It seems to be a completely different shape at the moment, but I'm sure all will become clear.....

head3.jpg

I've switched to using pastels to fill the white edges. It a better colour match and a softer finish, but doesn't go on quite as well and is a bit messier.

Cheers
Mark

M

Mark_1984

Hi folks,

I've made a bit more progress to the head. The fringe is completed and dry fitted. I've given up edge colouring for the moment. I'm not overly happy with using felt tips, and pastels are not very successful either. Maybe water colours will give a better result. Anyway, this is not going to be an award winning model so I'm not too bothered about the finer details. Given that it's almost a first model and I'm using photo paper which is not good, I'm batting on the back foot from the very start. This is probably not the easiest model for a beginner anyway :nope: Not to worry, it's good practice for a better attempt at the next model, what ever that may be.

Anyway, here is the head, with the fringe dry fitted. It's not a particularly good fit, so will take a bit of persuading into place properly.

head4.jpg

head5.jpg

I've decided to make some of the torso before I attach the rest of the hair, so I can make sure the hair doesn't interfere with the body.

Cheers
Mark

M

Mark_1984

torso1.jpg

Here is the start of the body. This went together quite easily.
Had another look at the website where I downloaded the model. I see it has a 5* difficulty :razz: Maybe not the best starter model - never mind - I'll press on.......

M

Mark_1984

Just realised, the hands look rather difficult !! Not only are the fingers all individual, but the fingers are eash composed of individual joints !!!

TWE will be (at least should be) impressed if I make a half reasonable job of those :rofl:

M

Mark_1984

Here is the body completed and neck added. I cut off the tabs on the neck, adding a separate tab to reinforce the join to form it into a ring. I'm just relying on a but joint to fix the neck to bocy, and eventually the head to neck. Thanks to Nezard for that tip, and also to Phil for the tips on building small.

torso2.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Lex

Dollmaker
Dec 1, 2006
Oxford, UK
"Just realised, the hands look rather difficult !! Not only are the fingers all individual, but the fingers are eash composed of individual joints !!!"

Lol, You happened to pick one of the hardest model on that site to build... Nice job there, keep it up.

allhallowseve

Jul 13, 2005
Looks good so for i start work on her a while ago been on and off the back burner !! I do a little here and there , my problum is to many project :)

i'am going back to work soon :)
so i 'am trying to finsh up some stuff

M

Mark_1984

Mighty warrior ?

For a might warrior, I thought she seemed a bit 'armless...... so here's the start of an arm ;)
arm1.jpg

I cut all the tabs off, electing to but join and then add a bit of reinforcment on the inside. Rather than score and fold, the arms are rolled, which seems to give a good result. The only minor hic-up is that the angular ends of the parts need trimming into a smooth curve.

Still not looking forward to the hands :cry:

Cheers
Mark