A New Supply of "Material"

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by davidstrains, Dec 18, 2002.

1. davidstrains

davidstrains Active Member

While cleaning the office a day or two ago I found a box of old business cards. They looked just the right Height and width for some of the S&B stuff that I have been trying, soooo...
    I took a handful down to the train room and played with the ruler, knife and glue for a couple of hours and here is the result. This is another way to do the "cardboard mockups". And if I get to be any good at painting I just may use them for background buildings also.

Attached Files:

2. davidstrains

Attached Files:

3. davidstrains

and one more

Attached Files:

4. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

Good idea David.
    I am pleased to see another carboard user here.
    You just never know what you can do until you try.
  5. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

David you are getting really good at this. :cool:
  6. davidstrains

Robin and Tyson,

Thanks for the comments. It just keeps getting better. I guess it is the newness of finding that I like this aspect of the hobby that I seem to try all sorts of things that I never expected that I would even consider. And now that you (Gauge folks) have kind of given me that old KITA to do more---I am. Problem is that when you stop working on track to build structures the layout progress falls behind. I still have scenery to do, and a lot of it. There just aren't enough hours in the day:) :) :)
  7. n-scaler-dude

n-scaler-dude Member

Like you, I have also been bitten by the bug. Now, when I am out at flea markets estate sales and garage sales, looking for ebay items, I also look for scratcbuilding materials, and RR'ing supplies. I've passed up many opportunities to buy N-gauge trains in the past, because I wasn't into it, and now I look back and kick myself.:(
  8. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

MAN THAT BUG GOT BUT GOOD GOT ME TOO GOT FOUR OR FIVE PATERNS GLUE TOO CARDBOARD RIGHT NOW MYSELF and few I have rescale down to n-scale just no time to do any plus I still have to order some windows:D :D :D :D :D rich
  9. davidstrains

I found a hobby store down in Richmond (Chesterfield Hobbies) that has a great selection of Grandt Line window, doors etc. Picked up 4 packs of 36" windows and industrial windows. He was ordering another bunch while I was there.:)
  10. rich maiorano

rich maiorano Member

you guys down under the mason dixon line have all the good hobby shops all I found was one that was all trains but mosty G and Loniel and lot of it and the one close to the house had maybe 10 mt cars a thats it the wood I got at the craft store:mad: :mad: rich
  11. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

A couple of new industries for the layout! Neat! Well................. you did say they were "business" cards.;) ;)

Looks good!
  12. aartwmich

aartwmich Member

David....VERY nice!! Heeeeyyyy, I've got a box of old biz cards too...ouch oooo I just recieved a KITA(great acronym!!) too!! I love this forum!!
  13. davidstrains

Great thought, Pete. You make "business" interpreted loosely as Industries, etc from "business card stock":D :D

ima, they are a great source of material and if you are in "N", very much the right sizes for buildings, houses etc. :) :)

Here is another one that I did last night and today. I used some paper brick sheeting and wood sheeting that Errol sent a month or so ago. I reduced the size down to where it looked right and printed it to see what I could do with it.

It is going to be Chris's vegetables and Produce Co. and replaces a Meat packing plant in my "vegetarian" daughter-in-law's "town" on the layout.:) :)

Attached Files:

14. davidstrains

here is another view of it:)

Attached Files:

15. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Very nice work David.

16. Railery

Railery Member

:D :D What ago. Great job David. Never would have thought about business cards. i'm HO so i was always looking for 8 1/2 x 11 card stock. i have lots now :) Can't wait to see your finished product. :D
  17. davidstrains

I owe a great deal to you, Tyson, Errol, Pete jmark.., and the rest for (1) getting me into this end of the hobby, and (2) for taking the time to view and comment on things that you see from ALL of us, whether we are accomplished craftspeople such as your self and a few others here or beginners and "hackers" like a LOT of us here. That kind of encouragement is contagious and makes us want to try to do more and different things that we see others doing so well.

Thanks again from an appreciative modeler.:) :)
  18. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

You've put into words the same feelings I have for this place!
    That is an exquisite structure you've built there!:cool:
  19. Drew Toner

Drew Toner Member

Business Card

Very nice David, it's amazing what you can accoplish with a new #11;) ;)...

and some brick veneer!!

I'm impressed. Can't wait to see the windows and doors installed:) :)

20. davidstrains

Re: Business Card

In another thread Charlie suggested the use of the "fiberglass Drywall mesh" as a source of windows. I found my roll, did a little cutting and glueing to see what it would do and then put on some "business card" doors and some of Errol's paper"wood" for the Freight doors. Added some paint to the walls and here is a before and after result. (please ignore the alignment of some of the "windows". :):eek: This was done AFTER the walls were constructed. I used long strips of the mesh so some of the vertical divisions do not line up where they should. :( That will be corrected when I do the real thing!!!) :):D

All of the techniques suggested work great. Now I have to put the scenery on so I can build these things for real.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and comments.:) :) :)

Attached Files: