A kitbash here a scratchbuild there

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Ray Marinaccio, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

I took a few quick photos of some kitbashes and scratchbuilds I've cobbled together.
    This first one is the Lionel hudson I could never afford. Built mostly of sheet steel over a Lionel motor.

Attached Files:

2. Ray Marinaccio

For you loggers out there , An 027 climax

Attached Files:

3. Ray Marinaccio

This is an 027 Atlantic that's on the back burner

Attached Files:

4. Ray Marinaccio

I started with a Pennline frame and drivers with this K4. Also on the back burner. I'm going to have to finish some of these.

Attached Files:

5. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

Those are teriffic!

I am green with envy! Hats off to a guy who can work in steel.

I sure would like to see you build a Climax:D

Keep up the good work.
  6. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

I agree. Great steamers. Nice photos
  7. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

Great work.
    I'd be interested in any tips you might give us on working with steel --- as opposed to brass, etc.
    Bill S
  8. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Neat stuff!
  9. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I sure admire your metal working skills Ray. Those locos are wonderful.
  10. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Wow. Um, wow. Those are terrific. Awesome work!

11. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Five star work there Ray. I know some O scale people that would be envious of your work. In fact some P:48 people would leave a puddle of drool on your floor. Great work, and please do share your secrets.

Greg Elems
  12. Ray Marinaccio

Thanks for the compliments. Actually you are some of the first to see some of these.
    As far as working with steel, it's not that different than working with brass. A little harder to cut, bend and roll. Machining takes a bit more patience as you need to take lighter cuts using cutting oil. That gets pretty messy.
    Most of these were built before I got the lathe and milling machine. You don't need fancy equipment to build a locomotive. (but they are fun to play with) The atlantic was the only one using them. tha boiler was a peice of black pipe turned on the lathe, cutting the areas between the boiler straps and the smokebox, then laminated the smokebox with apeice of embossed beercan. I cut the othe end and spread it open to form the firebox. The other boilers were rolled sheet steel and soldered, which I would recommend doing, it's actually a lot easier.
    The drivers on the atlantic have mini-ballbearings from VCRs on the axles. Speaking of the drivers, what do you think of those thread spools.
    I would be glad to share my secrets to to keep this so called "dying breed" of scratch building alive. I wouldn't know where to start. So please ask, hope I can help.
    An HO steel E6

Attached Files:

• e6.jpg
      File size:
      36.8 KB
    • e6.jpg
      File size:
      36.8 KB
  13. Ray Marinaccio

A brass ho freelance 0-6-0

Attached Files:

14. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I am impressed Ray. Fantastic work. Now what's this about thread spools? Would love to hear your secrets
  15. interurban

interurban Active Member

AMAZING:D :D :D :D

Now Ray,,,,, how about trying an Interurban,, say Pacific Electric?
    I would love to see that in steel ,H O of course..
    With the rivits ,,,,,,,,,,,,, sorry I just drooled:rolleyes:
  16. Ray Marinaccio

The drivers on the atlantic were fabricated from thread spools with extra spokes added and a brass tire bonded in place. these ones were made with the lathe, but I've made others without it. Without the tire using the tender for electrical pickup.
    As for an interurban, that's something that interests me, need to do some research. I did have a small line on one of my earlier layouts but compared to what I've seen of yours mine was rather crude.
    home made rivit tools

Attached Files:

17. interurban

interurban Active Member

Cheers for that Ray, I do hope you give it a try soon I know you will do a great job of it.

Thats what I need to get ,,a rivit tool:)

Steam Loco`s look wonderful;) ;)
    ps. love your scatched up work bench:rolleyes:
  18. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Man, that is some really fine work, my friend!
    I'll echo what one of the earlier posts said:
    I'm really envious of your abilities!:cool:

I read so many editorials in the modeling press complaining how the days of "real modeling" are in the past...
    That theory is shot down daily on these internet forums!:cool:

So please continue your excellent work Ray, & keep sharing it with us of the more "technicaly challenged" persuasion!:D
  19. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Re: WOW!!

I believe those days are only in the past for those who continue to read those magazines. The best interests of the industry aren't served by folks like us who see what we want and say, "Can it be built?", but by folks who see what they want and say, "Can it be bought?". It's not a complaint and there is certainly nothing wrong with the trend (we still benefit from it), we just are not part of that facet of the hobby we so enjoy.

Ray, your work reminds me of the old greats that got me in the hobby 30 years ago, please keep the pictures coming.
  20. Ray Marinaccio

Wow, Sounds like we were inspired by the same people. I remember those days looking at the photos in the old MR and RMC and only hoping I could build anything that nice. Never thought my work would be compared to the'res.