Thoroughbreed's Scratchbuild Challenge

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
I am attempting to build a section of trestle and bridge that cross the Chattahoochee river in Columbus, GA. This section has been there I believe since early 1900's. It serves the Alabama state docks and brickyard. The trestle begins in Columbus approximately 200 ft before reaching the river. There is a 2 way crossunder for road traffic beneath a section of it. There is also a section of it that crosses another track on the GA side.
I will get some pics of it this coming week, and start on it.
Eric:thumb:

Heres some pics of the original.
From the land side
015.jpg

Those are steel trestle
009.jpg

the sections that span the water. The original piers are encased in concrete about 2/3rds of the way up. The changes in sections change at the first 3 bridge sections, from a deck, a girder and then onto the spans. The abuttments also change on the land section of it.
019.jpg

018.jpg

I have more pics of the changes in the abuttments, and will submit them with the finished project.:thumb:

The buildings surrounding this are an old iron works that has been transformed into a convention center. They cast cannons during the civil war, and then went on to make manhole covers. Theres a complete forge inside the historic section and 2 gantry cranes in the main halls of the building.
Heres a link to the history of the iron works: http://www.columbusga.org/TradeCenter/history_4.htm
I will prob leave these out as they have been recently added onto. Its hard to tell where the original buildings end and the new sections begin.:thumb: