Some 3D printed boat Hulls

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I designed these Hulls. Thought I would post them. They were all printed without any external supports. I have added a pic of my machine in action.

I have many more hulls. I thought these were the most promising to add wood decks and turn into multi-media models.

I have displayed them without any finishing work. These are hulls I designed. I stress this because if you don't know how to do some sort of CAD that will output to .STL files, don't buy a 3D printer. You would have to download or buy anything you wanted to print, and some of the model files may not be compatible with the machine you have.

This machine is a Creality K1Max. :)

Skiff Mid print.jpgCatboat Front.jpgCatboat-1.jpg1.jpg

Open Skiff.jpg

Last edited:
Amazing! The result looks great! I like the idea of a mixed media project. I do see a few facets on the hull which indicate where the triangles in the mesh were but some sanding and paint might deal with them. :)

Reactions: zathros
These hulls are looking great. Do you need much sanding to get a smooth surface?
I have done no sanding or finishing work whatsoever. I wanted to show how the hulls came out of my "Creality K1MAX" printer, lines and all. . What I plan to do is cover the deck and foot wells with wood, then paint the hulls. I will lightly sand the hulls, but to be honest, those lines you see are visual reflections, they do not have any bumps or lines that can be felt. A good primer and paint job should cover any imperfections. Thanks. ;)

The white hull is the one I find most interesting. It is completely made out of one piece and required no supports. The other boat that looks similar, but using Parametric scaling, Ii was widened from the original model and I made it taller. No other modifications were needed to get the printer to print it.

I have many more hulls, too many to post. I have not seen anyone on YouTube making hulls the way I do. I really don't know why? :)

Hull, they look boatiful... so if I'm reading this correctly, then these structures are self supporting?

Looking forward to seeing how these become 'ship-shape'

Reactions: zathros
Hull, they look boatiful... so if I'm reading this correctly, then these structures are self supporting?

Looking forward to seeing how these become 'ship-shape'
All structures are self-supporting during printing and after. They all also float appropriately. I've loaded a few down with many $1.00 dollar coins, and they load up very well. It takes a little weight to get to the waterline, but that's how it should be, by the time I finish adding the ancillary components, and the centerboards. ;)