England Expects...

I've never built a sailing ship. I started the old Revel pirate ship, but never finished it. I'll be watching this.

those sails are vacuformed, not injected moulded, which lets them get a thinner profile, but at the cost of detail.

cutting them out is a pain, painting them to good effect is difficult. I always try my best, sometimes end up just doing the standing rigging.

That's why I'm using cloth @Bill Nelson .(see my earlier pictures) The first time I built it I was able to get the sails looking decent, but you can still see they're plastic, never mind the furled sails not looking nice.

One thing I've noticed, there is a lot of "flash" on the parts, clearly the jigs are getting old, and sure enough, on the bottom of the stand, 1965....

Reactions: micahrogers
These ships can be made to look fantastic as the original were wood, and didn't look like a brand new car or boat. They had a lot of character. If you look on the web, you can find scale rope. I used that when I built my Constitution many years ago. It makes a big difference. :)

An old diorama builders trick might be used to make realistically thin sails. take tissue paper, wet with a mix of glue and water, then form it to shape and leave it until the glue dries. I am going to try this to make the cover over the back of the MF when we first see it in SW TFA.

Reactions: mijob
OK, suggestions please! The instructions stipulate to paint the windows black, which I'm not prepared to do. Suggestions the paint colour? (I'm not drilling through for the windows)

What a pity. This would look nice with some flickering lights inside. Maybe you could simulate this by painting some windows with a mix of white, yellow and brown to tone it down a bit and others with a darker brown. Pearlascent colours or a glossy finish might simulate window glass. I would paint a strip of paper first, cut it to the size of the windows and attach the pieces to the outer hull non-permanently to see how everything looks.

Never use straight white for lit windows, use a tan or blue or even light grey to make lit windows, and also don't go straight black for dark windows, use a very dark grey or Indigo blue.

The thought crossed my mind of trying to light her up... That would require a lot, I mean a lot more work... Yellow LEDs.. hmmmm...

Nope. I would have to basically construct the entire interior from scratch and I don't have the tools, or the money to buy...

The frames are white, based on these suggestions I'm thinking a pale blue?

Reactions: micahrogers
Nope. I would have to basically construct the entire interior from scratch and I don't have the tools, or the money to buy...
Not necessarily. Just block the view inside with a piece of semi-transparent / milky / frosted paper. ;)

I agree with Micah's paint tips. As I said, just make some coloured shapes and put them on the outer hull to see the effect and go with what looks best for you. :)

They would look good with llight grey, or tan, and if you light them up with very yellow lights, that would like like fire used for light. :)

It's been a while painting off and on and finally got around to a bit of construction.

First the boats

IMG_20230817_160254.jpg
IMG_20230817_160237.jpg

Next the beakhead
IMG_20230817_160052.jpg

The upper deck

IMG_20230817_160108.jpgIMG_20230817_160140.jpg

IMG_20230817_170646.jpg

Between decks

IMG_20230817_170627.jpg

And the guns

IMG_20230817_160449.jpg

So the way these guns were in the sprue meant there was no opening at the barrel end. And after drilling them all out (and a few puncture wounds) here's what they look like
IMG_20230817_160510.jpg

Sorry, it's a bit out of focus, but you can see the effect I was after. Still some touch-ups to do, but overall I'm quite happy

Good idea with the drilling. His/Her Majesty would not be amused if the cannon balls get stuck in the barrels during a fight.

:animated:

Reactions: Cybergrinder
" remember try to keep the windows from becoming an 'odd shape', and your fingers as well." I always hated drilling on models.