"Alexander Arbuthnot" Australian Paddlesteamer - 1/100 scale

sakrison

Banned
Jul 5, 2006
The Alexander Arbuthnot was built in 1923 as a towboat to pull log rafts on Australia's Murray River. She survives as a "living museum" and tourist boat. I built the model, from World of Paper Ships, for an article in the Nautical Research Journal, a publication for model ship builders.

I used the optional laser-cut set that included paddlewheels, ship's wheel, some railings, and other details. I strongly recommend it. The kit presents the "A-A" in tour boat configuration. I wanted a working boat for my model RR layout, so I added a woodpile (fuel) and oil barrel, and omitted the benches & tables, beer cooler, and BBQ. I scratch built the railings from 1"x2" scale lumber. The finished model is 10 inches long with a beam of 3 inches and height of 3 inches at the towing mast.

At 1/100 scale, she's a little bit small for HO, but I think she'll look good sitting at the dock.. I have another paddlesteamer kit from World of Paper Ships. I might scan that one and scale it up to 1/87.

Attachments

• AA 2.jpg
    AA 2.jpg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 4
  • AA 3.jpg
    AA 3.jpg
    625.9 KB · Views: 4
  • AA 4.jpg
    AA 4.jpg
    609.2 KB · Views: 3
  • AA 5.jpg
    AA 5.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 4
Very nice model! I grew up near the Missouri river and have always loved to watch tug boats, any tug boats, do their work.
Bravo!

Thats a verry nice looking ship you did a great job. Thanks for sharing this model.
:toast:

Very very nice!! What a beauty!! Thanks you very much! :)

You have great taste in models. It's really nice to see you posting here. :)

The Alexander Arbuthnot was built in 1923 as a towboat to pull log rafts on Australia's Murray River. She survives as a "living museum" and tourist boat. I built the model, from World of Paper Ships, for an article in the Nautical Research Journal, a publication for model ship builders.

I used the optional laser-cut set that included paddlewheels, ship's wheel, some railings, and other details. I strongly recommend it. The kit presents the "A-A" in tour boat configuration. I wanted a working boat for my model RR layout, so I added a woodpile (fuel) and oil barrel, and omitted the benches & tables, beer cooler, and BBQ. I scratch built the railings from 1"x2" scale lumber. The finished model is 10 inches long with a beam of 3 inches and height of 3 inches at the towing mast.

At 1/100 scale, she's a little bit small for HO, but I think she'll look good sitting at the dock.. I have another paddlesteamer kit from World of Paper Ships. I might scan that one and scale it up to 1/87.
That is a very nice model, well done indeed, would have loved to see that being built - I trust we'll see the next from the hull up?

Reactions: mijob