Z-scale Question

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Mountain Man, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Active Member

Here is a totally dumb question: what is the actualy width between rails for Z-scale?

I tried to find some track to look at in the LHS last week, but none was in stock. My curiousity was aroused by the idea that Z-scale track and ore cars might be small enough to use as mine cars in N-scale...?

OK - I'm wearing my Kevlar underwear with the Nomex lining. Go ahead...I probably deserve it... :cool:
  2. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

I'm guessing it would be 56"/220 = .254" (and x 25.4mm/" = around 6.5mm). This is just from using the scale though, maybe the gauge is not quite that accurate.
  3. rhtastro

rhtastro Member

SA is right. Out of the Marklin book, the gauge of Z track is 6.5 mm or one fourth inch, the total width is 11.5 mm or 29/64 inches, the height is 2.5 mm or about 3/32 inches.
    Bob :wave::wave:
  4. Mountain Man

Hmmm...well, it wasn't a brilliant idea to begin with...:oops:

Thanks, everyone.

Misplaced my scale ruler...again...wall1
  5. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

Have you considered the stuff from the N Scale Architect?

Master Craftsman Series

It's down around the Lackawanna Coal Company.
  6. Mountain Man

Great link, ScratchyAngel - thank you!

Interesting screen name, too!
  7. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Z track is between metre and Cape gauge in N scale. The European term Nm is reasonably correct; Nn3 is a misnomer.
  8. Mountain Man

Funny thing - I actually had an "expert" at the LHS tell me that Z-scale track was 0ne-half N-scale. He was startled when I told him, it couldn't be, as Z-scale is !:220, not nearly small enough to be one-half of N.

Got to watch those "experts". :rolleyes:
  9. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

Nn3 - N scale models of 3ft gauge prototypes - use Z mechanisms, track, and Z gauge of 6.5mm as reasonably close.

56.5" gauge is 8.97mm in 1/160 N scale, close enough to 9mm, which is where the N designator comes from.

36" in N scale is 5.72mm. But just like HOn2 uses N gauge and Sn2 uses HOn3 or N, Nn3 uses a commercially available gauge. Actually, Z gauge equals about 22 inches in HO scale, and would be much closer to true HOn2 than N gauge is. But HOn30 has been around for a while, and is usually used for HOn2 models.
  10. Mountain Man

Yep! But it doesn't help with my problem anyway 'cause it ain't "one-half of N-scale! :cool: