Your Weekly Comic 1-8-06/1-14-06

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by MilesWestern, Jan 10, 2006.

So, what do you think?

Poll closed Jan 20, 2006.
  1. Laughed!

0 vote(s)
  2. Chuckled.

0 vote(s)
  3. Not Funny..

0 vote(s)
  4. Liked the drawing, not the gag...

0 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Here she comes a day late, but this time in color!!:thumb:

Attached Files:

2. MilesWestern

:confused: What does everyone think about the color? Good, Bad, ugly?:confused:
    ----Honest Opinions Please----

Also, I'm still accepting funny comic ideas!!! Please PM me if you have a good one!:D So, we can ALL... sign1
  3. zedob

zedob Member

I think it would be better if it were hand drawn and colored, which would help the comic atmosphere (for lack of a better term).

I like the joke and the visual setup (I like the way you treated the mountains in the back, simple), but I think it would be beneficial if it were hand drawn. If you can draw like that on a computer, Im sure you can draw with a pencil.:thumb:
  4. MilesWestern

Thank you Zedob, I was waiting for someone to say those kind words! :) I can draw significantly better in hand, rather than on the computer, you're exactly right. I wasn't satisfied with these computer-drawn ones anyway...What took 30 minutes on the computer (above) takes me about 5 minutes by hand, and looks MUCH MUCH better anyways. I need to hook up my scanner though, *sigh* :rolleyes:
  5. zedob

zedob Member

Glad to help.

I was looking into buying a scanner today. I have an old HP that is on it's last leg and scanning images is at best a crap shoot. The new cheapie HP $99.00 special at the local Staples offers much better quality than the one I bought 6 years ago, for $110.00. I need to do it because it IS so much easier for me to sketch and scan :thumb:than try to beat it out on the computer.wall1
  6. yellowlynn

yellowlynn Member

I think the color and shading is great. Try to get too realistic and you blow it.
    I personally enjoyed it. I guess the reason why is because I can't hardly draw water out of a faucet.

Lynn sign1
  7. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

I like it. Funny joke, and the computer imaging/drawing works for me.

8. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

I agree MIles, there's something much more personal with a hand-drawn sketch as opposed to a computer-generated one. The computer takes away that warm feeling. And you're right, a computer isn't always the fastest way to get something done, especially if it's one-of-a-kind original art.:D
  9. MilesWestern

Can anyone guess what type of Locomotive it is? :D
  10. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yeah, a pretty rusted one.sign1
  11. MilesWestern

ha ha ha, ;) But what manufacturer is it?
  12. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Looks EMDish to me.... I prefer hand drawn comics but think the computer illustration is fine. That loco looks really rusted out!
  13. MilesWestern

Nope this company was making locomotives at least 40 years before EMC ever started in the 1920's.
  14. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

gotta be a Baldwin
  15. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Yeah. Hand drawn might be slightly better; and, if it's faster and better for you, do it. I liked this one as is, however. Whatever you do I'm sure will please some and not please others. Just keep up the good work.
  16. Catt

Catt Guest

I chuckled at the 'toon,and that sure looks like an ALCO RS of some sort to me.
  17. MilesWestern

Thank you Dave Flinn. [​IMG]

and the winner of the Guess my loco contest goes to......[​IMG]

balloon6 cidchase!balloon6

You win the GRAND prize if you can guess what MODEL baldwin loco it is!

waiting for answers!
  18. babydot94513

babydot94513 Member in training

I think it is priceless. The sad thing is that I had to explain the humor to my wife. She is obviously not a railfan nor modeler.

19. MilesWestern

Thanks, Jeff that's very nice of you. :) :) :)

...but do we expect non-MRR's to know what M.U.-ing a couple of locomotives together is all about? ;) :D

I drew it from a photo of a Baldwin AS-616...of Oregon NW origin, I'd bet it's ex-sp! ;)

Thanks for chuckling everyone, it makes me feel good! :thumb: