Discussion in 'FAQs' started by Bob Collins, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Bob Collins

Bob Collins Active Member

I would like to include a "wye" on my layout. I use DCC. Am I coreect that a wye is basically the same as a reverse loop? If this is true, where do I place my automatic reverse loop polarirt reverser?

2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Bob: I see two ways to do the reverser. If the wye is to the side of your line and 2 switches are in the main line, I would put the reverser on the tail track, including the switch.
    If you have it at the end of the line, with 2 tail tracks, I would include the two tail tracks and the switches. (Option: pick one tail track and do as type 1.)
    If you are a cheap b******* you could wire it through the DPDT contacts on a switch machine and save the price of the reverser. You would, of course, change the switch when the loco was stopped.
  3. Bob Collins

Thanks very much David.

I have the reverser left from a previous layout, so that's not a problem. My problem was I have decided not to install a turntable, but instead substitute a wye which will do the job nicely for me. :)

4. Bob Collins

One other point. I assume I have to insulate the wye, correct?
  5. jetrock

jetrock Member

Yes, you do have to insulate the wye--gaps just beyond the switches from the mainline would work.
  6. Bob Collins

Thought so. :)

Thanks very much.:thumb: