WS vs. DPM buildings

aslan

May 16, 2006
I'm about 90% sure of going with the River Pass layout (with a few modifications) and since the buildings are separate, was wondering what you guys thought of the 2 companies.
Thanks,
Stan

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Don't know anything myself about DPM. Woodland Scenics buildings are mostly metal castings, and models of very small buildings. The Woodland Scenics are perfect for my older era, short line atmosphere, but might not be so suited to a modern day Class 1 model.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I would look through a Walther's catalog at various structures. DPM is all brick construction (that is they are plastic, but replicate brick). You might want to vary your buildings, depending on the era you are modeling. You might want some wood framed houses. Perhaps some traditional city store type buildings. If more modern, some Pike Stuff steel "Butler" type buildings. If you get any one type and stick with it, the town just won't look realistic. Most towns have a variety of construction types. The exception is old west towns which tended to be slapped together with wood, until the town burned, then after the second or third fire, the would rebuild with brick.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I've built both DPM and Pike Stuff...both kits went together well. The plastic of the DPM kit was thicker and more detailed which made it easier to work with but the instructions need to be read carefully IMHO (I found myself having to count windows to make absolutely sure I had the right wall section before glueing). The DPM kits needed little work trimming/sanding before glueing/painting...the moldings were crisp and square. The kits I bought were all colored a light brown but painted up in a weathered brick color well. The Pike Stuff kits I built were molded in blue and white, molded not as thick as the DPM's and therefore it was harder to keep the walls square while the glue set up. The DPM kits contain no added "features" like gutters or down spouts, whereas the Pike Stuff buildings included them as well as steps and many extra windows and doors.

Russ is absolutely right though about mixing up building styles...every DPM kit I've seen is always a brick building. Take a look at what era you're working in, what place, and typical structures found in that area...maybe that will help narrow down the building type and manufacturer search. Although I model current-era and try to replicate what is my local city, I bought some DPM kits and though they look more "dated" by their architecture, I plan on painting them in a newer more modern colors to mimic a historic district that is being updated and modernized...matching what I see around my local area. So I guess what I'm saying is don't always view the manufacturer's "suggested" use as the only possibility.

aslan

May 16, 2006
Thanks Russ for pointing out about the brick. I didn't realize that. And thanks to all of you who gave your input.
So, should I buy the WS Building section of the River Pass layout? I think there are 15 different buildings. I know there are plusses and minuses for both. Any opinions?
TIA
Stan

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
was wondering the same thing my self when you go to the DPM web site it also has the WS logo there.:) DPM has one wood building kit.

jetrock said:
I thought that the building kits for the WS layout kits were DPM building kits?

Jules Winnfield

Mar 23, 2006
I like them all...I love the woodland scenics metal castings they look so real. I love the walthers...plastic,nice detail.I really Love the DPM because you can buy kits or just the pieces and really use your imagination! I have used DPM parts in different guages,mixed them with other manufacturers, glued them,taped them...used the fronts on foamcore boxes and small cartons! You can easily use any or all of them on the same layout.Go with what you like.don't limit yourself.As in real life,structures vary from building to building ,street to street,city to city etc.