wow, train engines are alot!

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
i was just looking though some lionel catalogs and stuff and seen the lionel commodore vanderbuilt for like $1,700 :eek:

i've really liked the train, and i do have a marx commodore vanderbuilt... but wow.... $1,700 :eek: ... just today someone i know told me they spent 3k on an engine before, thats enough money to buy a used car!

how on earth do these manage to get that valuable?

has anyone here bought any train engines that were over 1,000, or atleast over 500??

i really would love to se some nice shots of the lionel commodore vanderbuilt, or anyother one of these big trains they have, if anyone has pics

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Just like all products in this world, rarity and condition along with desire drives the price. Age is a factor only by virtue of these other factors. Just watch the Antique Roadshow for proof of that. If you're seeing a loco that's selling for $2,000, you can be sure it is only one of a few in existance and is wanted by other collectors. Yeah, I suspect that these high-priced locos will just sit in someone's collection since running them would have a profound affect on their value.

I've yet to spend over $100 for an engine, there are some I have my eye on in the $200-300 range, but I'm not a collector either, so if I buy them, they'll get run. Well, I do have a few LifeLike GP38's in their boxes that I haven't run that I paid around $20 for them when Model Expo went out of the train business. I'm hoping that someday, if I don't run them, they will become rare and I can make a few thousand dollars, yeah, right, someday....:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

spankybird

OTTS Founder
May 13, 2005
Willoughby, Ohio, USA
The most expensive engine that I have bought is this O Gauge MTH RailKing Alleghany. New price was $650.00 It is PS2 with full DCS command control.

DSCF1884c.JPG

DSCF1874c.JPG

DSCF1171c.JPG

tom;)

onceler

Aug 13, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Like others, my engines are bought to run, not to collect. The most expensive unit I have is an Athearn Genesis Challenger & a Riverrossi Big Boy. I do, however, have a collection of pre-war era Lionel trains in their original boxes that my grandfather left me. Even though there are a lot of collectors pieces in the collection, I look at it more as a family heirloom (sp?) to be passed down from generation to generation than something that will gain in value that I can sell.

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
spankybird, nice engine!

i'm glad to see that everyone here soo far prefers running over storing! that's the only way to be :thumb:

tillsbury

Jul 18, 2004
NZ
Some of the really big G steam is silly money too... a regular exhibitor at the shows here runs a spectacular $2000+ G-scale steamer on a regular basis... Good on him!!

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
I'll look at the prices that are paid for some items on eBay that I would consider exorbitant and think how much really nice stuff could have been purchased for the same amount. One item that stands out is a 1/64th Batmobile slot car. I have seen quite a few listed on eBay and the lowest price paid was $125.00. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: For a slot car! :eek: :eek: I firmly believe that a lot of people on eBay have more money than sense, but I suppose that they would say the same about us paying $20 - $30 for a little plastic building. :) Oh well, each to their own. :D :D

siledka

Aug 28, 2005
just added a new thread with a pic of a couple of beautifull brass 1000-plus locs that I bought today. Well, I know it is a heap of money - but I dreamed of this one!