would it be legal?...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by MilesWestern, May 4, 2006.

1. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

If I posted a story in MR from the 1970's and credited both the author and publication with my post before the actual content? (it had no pictures)
  2. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

If you were to copy the whole article, I'd say you'd need permission first. You can quote parts of an article if you give the author and publication credit. Now the one thing I'm not sure about is how long a copyright is good for. The number 50 years sticks in my head, but even then, they can renew copyrights.

If the article was somewhere else on the net, let's say in the MR achives, it would be perfectly legal for you to put a link here to it.

That's the best I can suggest for you.
  3. MilesWestern

How about treating this article as a long quote, or I could omit parts of it, and make a multi-part quote, and cite the sources...what about that? It isn't a really long article, about 1 page if not columnized.
  4. jim currie

jim currie Active Member

after 1978 i belive its 70 years before it is 28 .
  5. Marxed

Marxed Member

it's still protected by copyright but i think your safe to post it online... i think it should fall under the fair use rules.... it's a 30 year old article, whoever wrote it is most likely dead... if they were alive it's not like they are still making profit from it or anything.... if the gauge is scared to have it typed here, just scan it or type it into a JPEG and host it on http://imageshack.us/ and then paste the link, soo the gauge will not have to worry about it...

people post articles online all the time on forums and blogs... just google around some other sites. nobody is going to sue anyone and nobody is going to get in trouble over anything.... for images and text... if someone can find me a case of a forum getting in trouble over quoting an article, i'll like mail you $$$
  6. MilesWestern

Ok, I'll post it tonight. If the board of moderators deems it too risky, Pm me, and have it removed 24 hours after I posted the article, is that ok?
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Hi Miles,
    In general I'm thinking its best to not tempt copyright issues and to respect the ownership of materials. I'll confer with my co-mods about it. Thanks for asking in advance! By the way, what is the article about? Can you just describe it or does it need to be read in full for readers to appreciate?
  8. Marxed

Marxed Member

i've searched and searched... nobody has ever been sued for anything like this before... and i've asked a lawyer his opinion on this.... i think you guys are safe to do this... i highly doubt MR would even waste the breath to sue anyone... you arn't posting it for monetary gain or for publicity.... this might even be under fair-use

posting the article, if anything, would help promote the current sales of MR.... maybe after you post this, you can send them a bill? :D
  9. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

OK, read the MR article (it was funny by the way) and it doesn't seem to be a big deal.